April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (dogon, JBG, ClapperZapper, KDGJ), 1,106 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,144
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 18 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 17 18
Sidelock
Sidelock

Welcome back Mark!
I was hoping you would join this thread.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting post, Mark. I had heard that the reason so many Krag sporters were single shots is that the repeater conversions were very difficult to make, especially in smaller ctgs like .25-35 and .219. Seems not to be so. I envy you all those "old smoothies". That safety lug conversion deserves an article someplace, or at least some pix!

I noticed a remark by George Nonte in his old column "Cartridge of the Month" in "Handloader" #59 (Jan/Feb 1976) on the .35 WCF where he mentions "....surplus Krags so altered (to .35 WCF) are not unknown. I once owned a full-stocked, 18-inch barrel, flush-magazine Krag whose original barrel had been rebored to .35 Winchester--a very nice woods rifle."

Anybody know what he meant by "flush-magazine"? Single shot? Reduced cartridge capacity magazine?

Anybody notice other mention of this rifle in Nonte's writings?

Sidelock
Sidelock

The 'flush magazine' probably refers to the not-unusual practice of making the magazine's door fit flush against the line of the stock's wood along the right side of the action. This conversion is detailed in The American Rifleman, I believe the article I saw was published sometime in the '50s or early '60s. Apparently the conversion made the rifle a LOT easier to carry in the field and some folks even thought it looked better....
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Brothers of the Steel:I must have Ol' Timers Disease,(58)because I can't remember who but I read that someone in the 50's-60's made a parts kit that converted Krags,to a slimmer 3 round magazine from the standard 5.Larry Koller who wrote "Shots at Whitetails" hunted exclusively with a custom Krag he built and I believe he installed such a kit.For what it's worth.

The Sons of Alvin Linden
Sidelock
Sidelock

Posting for Waterman,

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

Neat. That Hart conversion rifle looks like the gun Nonte mentioned. Thanks for answers, all. I'm gonna have to dig up that American Rifleman article.

RJH Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The article about flush magazines for the Krag is in "The NRA Gunsmithing Guide-Updated", mines the 1982 edition and usually still available at abebooks. Great book by the way, with plenty of how-to-do articles that we all grew up with in the 50-60's from the American Rifleman.

Larry Koller was also a big fan of the .250/3000, which made me go out and find a cherry Savage 99 EG back then.

Bob

Sidelock
Sidelock

The scan is from Ellis Lenz' book Muzzle Flashes. My copy is the 1944 second printing. The paper is thin wartime stuff and the print from the reverse page shows through. Lenz wrote that the stock work was done by Harvey W. Rogers, a stockmaker employed by Hart Arms Co. of Cleveland, Ohio. Rogers worked for Hoffman before he worked for Hart.

The stock itself is the issue military Krag stock with the upper part of the comb removed and a comb of proper height and appearance added. A pistol grip has been dovetailed into the lower part of the military stock and the grip area checkered to hide the joining line. The long military barrel was cut off and the military fore-end was cut back to make a Mannlicher-type fore-end. The lightening cuts were filled in the standard manner. Lenz wrote that the labor involved was little short of making the stock from scratch.

The Hart flush magazine was apparently an aftermarket assembly. Is there any relationship between the Hart Arms Co of pre-war Cleveland and the present suppliers of stuff to the benchrest crowd?

Last edited by waterman; 02/21/11 12:53 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This thread gets more and more interesting... I think I will go with .35 Krag; a .30-40 opened out to .358. Already have tons of new and used .30 Krag around, you see.

Current sub-projects:

Stock. Haven't found a suitable candidate yet.

Front sling swivel attachment. If anybody makes the sling swivels that attach through the stock to the barrel, you can't prove it by me.

Last edited by Plain Old Dave; 02/21/11 01:18 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Lenz book has a diagram of how to modify a Krag military stock. All you need is patience. (VBG)

My late friend Jim Hogan installed a "through the stock" barrel band and sling swivel on my Bannerman Krag sporter about 10 years ago. I seem to remember that I sent a check to Brownell's for the parts.

Page 6 of 18 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.