April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jeremy Pearce, ChiefC, David Williamson, 2 invisible), 778 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,444
Posts544,814
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rocketman,

Have you conducted, or do you know of any research concerning Young's Modulus of good Damascus barrels? This would be in reference to the elastisity of steel shot passing through the choke constriction and if the Damascus barrel expands and contracts.

I witnessed steel shot, #2's and smaller, being fired in Damsacus guns with no noticable effects. The chokes of one 12 gauge Parker's Damascus barrels were measured .030" and .035" constriction and minimum barrel thickness of .030". I was so amazed at that Damascus "steel shot special" that I bought it.

The story behind the subject Parker is that the owner thought that the chokes were .015" and .020". Only later when he had access to good barrel thickness and choke gauges did he realize his mistake. Of course, he continued shooting that gun. When I bought it about 150 rounds of high quality steel 4's and 2's had gone throught those chokes. As one might guess the stock is cracked from the recoil of those steel loads.

If I could obtain access to the means to accurately measure the barrel's expansion and contraction this gun might be sacrificed to research.

Respectfully,
Mark

Last edited by MarkOue; 02/25/11 08:43 AM.

USMC Retired
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck, I'd really like to see you try that but, I would think you should test it without porting, and then port the barrel for testing, even in varying degrees, testing loads in it all along the way. Might learn even more by doing this. I will donate a 12 ga. Rem. 1100 barrel for the testing.

Don, let me chew on this some today while I harrow some firebreaks in the pine plantations. I'll get back to you tonight. Thanks for replying.

Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Chuck H #219361 02/25/11 09:45 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chuck H
This should be something that testing could clear up. I have a Pressure Trace we can use (straingage), I envison we'd need a couple barrels screwed together and the ultimate port job might help reduce most of the hoop strain from gas pressure and provide some contrast in the strain values. Straingage two areas: one at the choke cone, the other along the straight bore. Just need a pump, single, or auto with two plain barrels we can wreck.

Chuck,

If you are serious email me.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don . . . "increasing velocity requires reducing pressure". Are you speaking in general, or only in the specific case of the changes that take place as a shot column passes through the choke? I ask because, while pressure and velocity are not directly related, more often than not an increase in velocity will be accompanied by an increase in pressure. Or at least that's what you see if you look at a reloading manual.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry, while pressure and velocity are not directly related, there are more tight connections between these units, than you could think and plz stop to repeat this sh*t every time.

Geno.
Sidelock
Sidelock

While I understand the rationale to relate this to Bernoulli's principle, I'm skeptical that it would be applicable in this debate.

I'm looking at the stress/strain issue on the choke as more of a single impact event, where the shot is traveling in a direction and then deflected in another. I suspect the point of highest stress will be somewhere along the cone.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gas dynamics. The gas pressure will be increasing dramatically just behind shot column and wads, if shot column and wads meet obstacle such as full choke for example and slow down.

Geno.
Chuck H #219391 02/25/11 12:03 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chuck H
This should be something that testing could clear up. I have a Pressure Trace we can use (straingage), I enviison we'd need a couple barrels screwed together and the ultimate port job might help reduce most of the hoop strain from gas pressure and provide some contrast in the strain values. Straingage two areas: one at the choke cone, the other along the straight bore. Just need a pump, single, or auto with two plain barrels we can wreck.

Chuck, I'm with you on this. I want to do it as time permits.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: MarkOue
Rocketman,

Have you conducted, or do you know of any research concerning Young's Modulus of good Damascus barrels? This would be in reference to the elastisity of steel shot passing through the choke constriction and if the Damascus barrel expands and contracts. Unfortunately, I know of no such data.

If I could obtain access to the means to accurately measure the barrel's expansion and contraction this gun might be sacrificed to research. See above, Chuck's proposal will get the information you/I/we want. Strain gauges are based on the change of electrical resistance with the "stretch" of the barrel.

Respectfully,
Mark

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Chuck, I'd really like to see you try that but, I would think you should test it without porting, and then port the barrel for testing, even in varying degrees, testing loads in it all along the way. Might learn even more by doing this. I will donate a 12 ga. Rem. 1100 barrel for the testing. Maybe we can get a test going.

Don, let me chew on this some today while I harrow some firebreaks in the pine plantations. I'll get back to you tonight. Thanks for replying. Chew away, Stan. This is not a timed event. grin

Stan

Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.