April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Karl Graebner, Marks_21, Kolar Dickson, FlyChamps, 2 invisible), 765 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,147
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 18 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 17 18
RJH Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds intresting, would like to see how you incorperate the stock panels on a Krag with the magazine and plate on either sides of the action. Love rounded grips, should be a beauty. Any idea of approx. weight?
Thanks
Bob

Sidelock
Sidelock

OK, so $475 is pricey for a common Krag sporter. Where is the pictured Jaeger Krag on the pecking order? Jaegers and Sedgleys are found around the Philly area more than anywhere else. Mark B. can attest to that. I feel like my Krag sporter is a Stoeger but I don't know for sure.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A difficult question about value. Some would say the same for any Jaeger rifle of this condition and vintage. One could argue that high-end Krags are a lot more harder to come by and should command a premium. Others would say not as many people want a Krag so they should be discounted.

See how easy it was for me to not answer your question. The $$$$ of this rifle are best left between the buyer and the seller. Although it might be fun to see what others think.

This rifle also has the mount and scope which would go a long ways towards that $475.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I really like a lot of that stock; a schnabel fore-end would make it perfect.

Sidelock
Sidelock

$475 is over the top for the average sporterized Krag. The usual range is $275-375 but if I were looking for guns to fix up and make over - I am not these days - I would pay $500 for one with a mint bore. A rifle or carbine with a simply cutoff stock and uncut barrel can be restored - someone sells forend pieces that can be grafted on quite heatly. A gun like that is worth more.

Case coloring unstressed parts on a custom job is a neat idea, you could do a steel buttplate, the magazine left side cover, the big magazine box, the trigger guard, and some of the bolt parts. I have a Holland & Holland Norwegian Krag with a colored guard, albeit done by Mark Silver while doing some other work on the rifle. I did not think of it for the Jerry Fisher Krag because thet rifle is on an "American interwar sporter" theme and colors would not have fitted in. But on the rifle Steve is planning, with a contoured barrel and Germanic stock, they would be excellent. If it works out as planned, Steve's rifle will be splendid. Including Steve's, I now know of four high grade custom Krags under order, three of them however from one customer, another Manhattan lawyer, two of them from one gunsmith. I hope we are starting a revival.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The three rifles being made for my fellow Manhattant attorney are on American, Norse, and Danish actions.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I would very much like to see pictures of Krags with color casehardened parts....

RJH Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Was there a receiver sight for the US Krag that mounted on the bolt handle side of the receiver. I have an old commercial sporter stock with flat diamond checkering, a horn grip cap, schnable tip and a winchester m70 type steel butt plate that was neatly inletted on the right side between bolt and loading gate, even with a small channel for a threaded rod like you sometimes see on a Lyman 48 stock inlett.
Thanks,
Bob

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes, there was; the one that will soon be mine HAS the sight on the bolt/magazine gate side. If you wanted to sell, I would be VERY interested in pictures.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know as these pictures of my Krag will help in your quest but I have had this one for years. It is birdseye maple from one end to the other. I don't know who the stock maker was but found this one shortly after I had bought a Krag years ago to do a custom build. I figured this one was pretty close to what I was going for so I sold the other Krag and kept this one. It has taken a few mule deer does and makes me smile every time I look at it. It did have the original front sight but had some damage to the crown and the front sight so had the barrel shortened about an inch and a new sight put on.

Marty

Page 10 of 18 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.