April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (SKB, Lloyd3, eightbore), 212 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,052
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#221557 03/13/11 09:58 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've just acquired this 20 ga. Model 100. This is the first time I've seen a Model 100 that was not a plain field grade. Barrels are 24" and the chokes have been re-stamped from IC/Mod to Cyl/Cyl. The serial # has an "S" in front of it, but the "S" is not present in front of the serial # on the forend. What have I got here? Was this modified outside of the factory?

Last edited by ninepointer; 03/15/11 03:31 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks to me like somebody had their gunsmith make them a "Quail's Fargo Special". Factories seldom ship a Cyl/Cyl gun unless they are making a double riot gun (or "coach gun" as they are now called) for the CAS guys. I don't think SKB ever did that.

But I don't knock cylinder bore; it's more useful than generally assumed. I have two words for this gun: "ruffed" and "grouse."

Sidelock
Sidelock

My guess would be the woodwork isn't factory. No real good view of the triggerguard but it doesn't look long enuf to be off a 280 so maybe it's just the original from a pistol grip straitened. Does the inletting around the top tang look good enuf that they'd want to machine them like that all day long day in and day out. Checkering with the extra 2 line arrowhead looks a bit "individualistic" to me but doesn't look tentative or amateurish otherwise so, on balance, even if it's aftermarket, it's fairly attractive and not much apparent connection to the Anonymous Yahoo style of doing things.

I've got a 20 with a strait stock and probably a t-guard off a 280e and the longest forend (18") with a brazed on pushrod extension you'll ever see. The wood is a quilted black walnut uncheckered, so that along with the goofy forend and brazing tells me mine is absolutely a home do. Mine is not case colored but the black chrome version.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't think SKB case hardened any of their Ithaca guns. If the LOP is 14" I think it was converted from PG and re checkered and higher grade wood than a 100, 280 maybe? forend looks stock, reciever/ forend iron polished out and CC'ed, barrels cut one inch and the ivory bead put in. Should be a good grouser!

Chief

Sidelock
Sidelock

Agree with Chief, frames on these Ithaca guns were blued (with some models coin finished); color case hardened frames was not offered on these imported Ithaca guns.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Mike A.
But I don't knock cylinder bore; it's more useful than generally assumed. I have two words for this gun: "ruffed" and "grouse."

I was thinking that, as well as "cotton" & "tail"

Originally Posted By: rabbit
My guess would be the woodwork isn't factory.

Removal of the butt-plate has revealed lots of finish residue and a rather roughly hollowed-out stock. The trigger guard, albeit straighter, is the same length as on my 12 ga. Model 100.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm in the running if you want to turn it over...

Double guns and English Setters
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like a nice custom job.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That is definitely custom and not factory. No factory 24" barrels, no CC receivers, no straight grips on Model 100. The only common Ithaca SKB sxs model with the silver nitride finish was the 200E (which was also available in an engraved, blued receiver version). I recently parted with a Model 100 that was coin finish and game scene, but it was made for the European market and was not an Ithaca import.

Sidelock
Sidelock

From the time frame these were built I would highly suspect the frames were built from an alloy steel, not subject to the True Bone Charcoal method of CC'ing. Probably this is one is wearing some type of "Faux Finish". I realize all you folks Drooling over it Totally Detest such, but hopefully that is what this one wears.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.