April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (j7l2, Mike Harrell, GSPWillie, 3 invisible), 200 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,433
Posts544,709
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Anymore, when it becomes apparent to me that I have a sale I'll box the gun up and take it to Fed Ex or USPS and get them to quote me the rate to ship. I'll then e-mail the buyer with the exact amount to send along with the purchase price. Before I would just guess at the cost and it would, usually,end up costing me more.

Best Regards, George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
pod Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

ive never complained about the shipping costs. unfortunately it costs another $30 for the transfer. i end up paying $65 just to get the gun.and if some people get their way we will be paying a 7-8% sales tax then it will get to a point where it will be just to expensive to buy by mail. just my thoughts

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brian - I couldn't agree with you more. I've been disposing of my collection over the past year - ship only USPS Priority Mail (most secure and trackable) and the average is $27.00. That leaves me $3.00 to cover the new box, bubble wrap, tape, etc. and that really doesn't cut it. When I raise it to $35, guys holler like they're getting their throats cut... I judge places by how well they wrap - the pros and top shops are great, but I've received some guns loose in the box with only a sock over the muzzle - no wonder they can ship so cheap!

Prof. P. Terry Plegia
jmc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Brian et al,

How are you covering insurance on the guns you ship USPS? Not mentioned by those who have stated that they ship USPS and charge minor handling/material fees. Are you covering the insurance fees or just not insuring?

-jmc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Having bought a gun from you in the past I can tell others here that you are one of the best packers and shippers of guns that I have dealt with on the web. Only a jerk can claim that he can ship it cheaper and better. People too stupid to read and understand clearly written terms are hopeless to deal with. Your shipping rates are fair in my experience. Some people want to screw every seller out of a few dollars like it is a game to them.

Stupid buyers can drive sellers nuts but it works both ways. I had one seller sell me a 10 bore when he clearly listed it as a 12 and claimed to have shot it himself. Or one who questioned why I would expect him to replace the two missing firing pins on a gun he sold to me. He also claimed in the listing to have test fired the gun, must have been a miracle detonation. Or the one who put a gun in a box with about ten sheets of newspaper for wrapping. When it got here it was less than pristine.

Stick to your "guns" and do not lower your standards of how you ship or what you need to charge.

Last edited by KY Jon; 03/16/11 09:33 PM.
Brian Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Prof.
I list as 39.00 plus sIns based on selling price.
On a few guns, I may say 35.00 plus ins.

But No matter what I get beat up. I just sold a guy a 94 Win, pre 64. terms stated 35.00 plus ins. He won it, emailed that he was sendign payment and then added that he ships those little rifles for 20.00 all the time. When I explained what my boxes cost (new box and sleeve) and packing material, bubbld wrap etc) and that I list with flat rate, he states that I am running a shipping scheme.
I mention that he argeed to my terms when he placed the bid but he still wants to argue. well his rifle shipped and cost 32.70 . I charged him 39.70 (35.00 plus ins) my box and materials 7-8 bucks.) so there is my "scheme". Beleive me, i will be contacting him to inform him that i coukldnt find the 20.00 shipper. It just chaps my a$$. As much as the guys who short me 3-4 bucks when they have the MO made out for payment. they get the total with the payment info. I cant figure that out excpet that they are cheap.
I wish peopel would grasp the concept of when they bid, they agree to the terms. If they dont like them, dont bid or email to see what options there may be.
Just like the guys who want it shipped by UPS. I cl;early state no UPS. aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi all, very good post and great stories. I've had the same happen to me with selling a gun. Shiiping is not cheap, yet there are those out there who want something for nothing. My story is a guy bought a very nice SxS for a good price. I sent the gun to him, after I got the FFL. He said he would send the check after he accepted the gun. Ok, I tend to trust people, besides, I had his FFL (he was the holder). He got the gun and right away, wanted me to drop the price or pay for the stock to be bent (it shot low for him). I said, send the gun back and he pays the shipping back. He decided to keep it. We agreed on my set price and I said to add the amount we agreed on for shipping. He agreed. I got the check minus the shipping. E-mailed and told him that, thinking he'd say, he forgot and would send another check to cover the shipping. His response was "I thought the price included the shipping". Needless to say, I never got a check for the shipping. So, I got stiffed. I'm sure I'm not the first guy he's pulled this with. Oh well, bad on me, I learned.

All the best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've never paid more than $25 to ship a long gun, and that's insured for full value. I use Fedex. I just shipped a sxs from CT to Alabama, 3 day for $16 plus change, insured.

That being said buyers need to look at the shipping price you advertise before bidding, or send an email requesting to negotiate on the price/shipping prior to bidding. Once they bid they have entered into a contract and should honor your price as you've stated it in the ad.

This is one reason I stopped selling things on Ebay, once they changed their feedback system to favor buyers it became skewed and unfair. The last few items I sold didn't go well and I had buyers who basically extorted partial refunds from me in exchange for positive feedback. After 250+ positive feedback scores and no negatives my last 5 sales had 3 buyers attempt this.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't care what the shipping cost is. If it is listed in the auction a buyer/bidder agrees to it. If you don't like it you shouldn't bid/buy. You could contact the seller before bidding or buying and ask if there is a less expensive way to ship but in my opinion wanting to haggle over $5-$10 is a little childish. If the price including shipping is more than you are willing to pay, just walk away. I have only sold a couple of guns online and they have been pleasant experiences. If anything I want to under-represent the gun because I've been on the other side of opening up a box and seeing something that isn't quite as "like new" to my eyes as it was the seller's.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you agree to the price before you buy it,then you should pay every penny the seller asks.

Forget UPS,USPS and Fed-Ex are cheaper and will pay insurance claims better (UPS subs it out to Crawford who denies all claims)

I have had guns shipped to me in $100+ cases and then just returned them to the seller-always thought that was a good idea-you could even do a deposit deal with it.There are auction houses that will let you ship them and empty gun case to ship your gun back as well.

Last edited by Dave K; 03/17/11 08:50 AM.

Hillary For Prison 2018
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.