March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Lawrence Kotchek, Karl Graebner, Licensed to kill, KDGJ, Argo44, 1 invisible), 835 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,023
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Shipping charges must be higher in Georgia as a high value insured gun always cost me around $50 using Resistered mail and one insured for $9600 was over $60.00! I must not be doing something right! Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

I haven't had any trouble with shipping charges,complaints or returns. I have been plagued by tire kickers asking every sort of question imagineable stretching out over several weeks and multiple e-mails then just cut off all communication. I had a guy send me urgent e-mails about a gun I had for sale to which I replied each time and then zilch nothing. The process stretched out each week for four weeks. Finally he decided to pull the trigger and buy the gun. To my pleasure, I had already sold it. He got pissed....go figure. What a dumb a$$... The ones that really get me are the guys that want to discuss the gun like it was animate being...."do you think I will be happy with it an it with me?"......sheesh

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

What are the posters' opinions on the guy who says he can ship a gun for $16.00 insured by Fed X? On another point, do we really think that a high volume dealer pays for insurance every time they go to the Post Office. No, I think they insure as part of their business insurance and do it for a very small amount of money on an annual basis.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I find it interesting no one has mentioned dealer time factor in packaging yet. I also know that each January ALL of the carriers raise rates. My last three Fed-Ex bills listed a 10% fuel surcharge for delivery( up from the previous 5%, 6.5 % and 8%).....this is NOT quoted as part of the price on the computer or in person on the phone before shippment.

Two of the largest carriers are adding surcharge ammounts for home, extended delivery areas, and pick-up (if you don't have a daily pick up agreement. As of January 2011 all have recaluclated just how dimensional weight is determined W X H X L divided by 166 instead of 194.

As for insurance.....I used to pay each time a package was shipped via the carriers "insurance" program. When the cost of the insurance exceeds the cost of the shipping....my clients raise Cain AND Abel. I got tired of arguing with them that what it cost me should cost them.

UPS and FED-EX specifically have written into their shipping contracts that they do NOT issue insurance.....only added value(have you really read all of the fine print yet). They really don't want to pay out claims. Therefore, in order to protect my clients investment, a separate insurance policy has been procured. It isn't cheap. Must I bear the cost of insurance without passing it on? Yes, the insurance is cheaper than the carriers....therefore I don't have to charge as much either to re-coup my costs.

Dennis Earl Smith/Benefactor Life NRA, ACGG Professional member
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am certainly sympathetic to what is said here in most transactions. I have never been a seller, only a buyer, so obviously I can be sympathetic to the buyer side.

1.How many times does a seller post such poor pictures, you can't tell any more about it other than the title of the ad.

2 After a couple emails for details, none of value really come forward and of course that includes better pictures. Because they are sorry that their sister has borrowed their good camera and all they have is their cell phone camera.

3. Finally, you want the gun so bad, you call only to leave messages that take days to return. Then, just maybe, they will give details of the gun. But, they will NEVER, EVER, put these details in print like an email, because they can't be cornered without having written documentation.

4 The pristine gun that you can't really see in the pictures and there is no written only verbal description arrives. You find that it was broke through the wrist, glue is plain to see now in person, that the poor pictures couldn't show, and the cheeks of the stock has the bolt passing through it, that they said was a pristine stock as from the factory.

5. Of course in buying the gun, you agreed to the price and happily accepted that price and shipping costs and even asked that it be properly insured to at least cover the costs of the purchase and shipping. Of course ask seller, who the insurance will be made out to. The seller says to him, since he paid for it. If he paid for it, why did I send enough funds to pay for insurance? Am I confused?

6. Gun is delivered. You see all the issues that he would not put in writing. You are not being nit picky, as you know and expect some handling marks, but the pristine gun was described as being as it was when it left the factory! Naturally, you photograph all that happened, since it left the factory. You photograph the box, even before you open it, the wrapping as you unwrap it, the issues that were told by phone only, that are very present even though seller said they weren't. You immediately send an email with pictures and back it all up with a phone call. The seller has chosen now to drop off of the face of the earth. Before he had your money, he would in his good time, at least, contact you. Now, nothing, won't do anything to respond. You can fight it, you can hire an attorney, and you may win. But at what cost do I win what I shouldn't have had to fight with? Call it education, forget it, write it off and if you decide to buy again, you ask in writing all that many sellers here think is redundant. What if I bought, with counterfeit money, after all they sent a counterfeit gun.

7. Yes, I know, never buy a gun that you can't put your hands on before transferring the money. If life was just that simple. Some rare items can't be feasibly bought that way, so you just hope that you are dealing with honest people. You will find out, when your money is gone and so is the seller. I have found many very honest sellers, but it only takes one and then another and soon you are so skeptical, you have no idea why you even deal with any gun seller long distance.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is there some exception at the USPS that limits gun insurance payments to $1k. I've read this, but have not verified if it is true? Does anyone KNOW?

jmc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: jerry66stl
Is there some exception at the USPS that limits gun insurance payments to $1k. I've read this, but have not verified if it is true? Does anyone KNOW?

I hope not as I've paid for insurance covering a $4000 gun...

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've insured guns for up to $7K. Interesting though my PO requires that guns be packaged in brown wrapping paper and reinforced fiberglass tape for values over $2K.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've bought and sold mostly on GunBroker. In the main, my experience as both buyer and seller has been good and my feedback there reflects that. One does need the ability to detect the difference between an annoying fart smeller and a potential buyer who needs a bit of reassurance and friendly advice regarding a type of transaction (FFL middleman) of which they have no experience and so no comfort zone. I don't like depreciators ("it's really approaching being a parts gun isn't it?), comparison shoppers (I can get it for less locally what you think about dat?), circling buzzards (Will you take less, let's say four hunnert? You will? No, that wasn't an offer; I was just wondering if your price was firm.) but I am willing to be patient with folks whom I think might actually intend to throw a few sheckels on the blanket. All the rest can walk.

jack

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I have not had trouble insuring high dollar guns at the Post Office, but I would like to have an answer to my question about the $16.00 insured shipping at Fed-X. What do you guys think about the poster who mentioned that rate?

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.