May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (skeettx, SKB, smlekid, Sandlapper, Bill Davis, Ian Forrester), 279 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,505
Posts545,556
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll second Post4 Optics! Best shooting glasses of all the kinds I have had in script. I currently have 2 sets of Titanium frames and 4 sets of lenses, all script with bifocals. The frames are so comfortable I use them for everything. I have sets in DriveWear which is polarized photochromic and a specific set with max magnification for trout fishing so I can see to tie the flies on. Latham Optical does the work. They travel to many State Trap meets in a trailer and will fit on the spot and have lenses FedExed if in a hurry at a meet. Excellent service.-Dick

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sweep,
I tried the Oakley M frame prescription setup. They are too low for me and another fella at the range that tried them as well. Shooting glasses need to be high and wide. Those Oakley wrap around styles just don't work for some of us.

The things I ran into with the glasses I finally settled on was ensuring pupil center to center distance was right when they grind the lenses and also ensuring that the lense centers were up and left as your eyes point during a gun mounted and aiming position. IMO, having an optomitrist/optomologist mark the dummy lenses with your pupil centers while you simulate a mount/aim is the best way to do this. Mail ordering a prescription doesn't allow this level of fitting.

I'd highly recommend you get frames and have your Dr make the lenses after a fitting as I described.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I also like the Oakleys. You can get shooting specific glasses like these..... Oakley .......or I just got the G-26 lenses for my regular flak jacket frame and put them in when I need them. Otherwise I just keep my regular polarized lenses in them. I have never been able to better or even duplicate the quality of genuine Oakley optics from any other lab.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The reason I wear HiDefSpex (now Pilla, after the owner, Phillip Pilla) is that they have a special lens coating that does something no other brand does, or does as well. The coating makes the color orange extremely bright, glowing, almost looks like it is on fire. I tried a set of Randolphs last year at the Palmetto Classic that were supposed to have the same quality. They enhanced the orange, but not nearly as much as the Pillas. When you are shooting clays in the woods, and you are getting that "strobing" effect from the bird zipping in and out of sunlight and shadows, that lens coating is amazing. That clay bird is extremely bright and glowing, and easier to stay "locked on", IMO.

Just another little thing that could possibly make the difference between first place and first place loser. That probably doesn't matter to someone who is a casual sporting clays shooter, but it matters to me. I "fight" for every bird that I can get legally and ethically. And I believe strongly that HiDefSpex can be an advantage under certain circumstances.

Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a pair of Decots, a pair of Randolphs, and a pair of Pillas. They've been accumulated over twenty years of shooting with prescription shooting glasses, and I would have to agree with Stan. The Pillas are good for a few targets per round of sporting clays. Their coatings and optical precision take these rotten eyes of mine and help me see birds I'd never have seen with the Decots or the Randolphs (and I've tried a side by side comparison, though the prescriptions do differ). As well, with my prescription, my Pillas are half the weight of either of the others.

As far as impact protection, this is their description of their lens material. "Ballistx is stronger than any lens transparent optical material currently available on the market and is guaranteed not to break or crack. The Ballistx material is a bullet-proof polymer that is replacing polycarbonate for military and security applications. Please see our bullet video demonstrations for an unbelievable sight in comparison to Polycarbonate." I've seen the demo, but I can't find it online.

My Decots and Randolphs both did good work for me, but I feel that I've gained more with these than I ever did with any other shooting glasses.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is there anyone who makes a "clip-on" style shooting glass that can be used with your standard prescription lenses? I'd prefer not to pay to have a bunch of prescription lenses ground in various colors if there were a more economical solution.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Tom Bryant
I have a pair of Decots, a pair of Randolphs, and a pair of Pillas. They've been accumulated over twenty years of shooting with prescription shooting glasses, and I would have to agree with Stan. The Pillas are good for a few targets per round of sporting clays. Their coatings and optical precision take these rotten eyes of mine and help me see birds I'd never have seen with the Decots or the Randolphs (and I've tried a side by side comparison, though the prescriptions do differ). As well, with my prescription, my Pillas are half the weight of either of the others.

As far as impact protection, this is their description of their lens material. "Ballistx is stronger than any lens transparent optical material currently available on the market and is guaranteed not to break or crack. The Ballistx material is a bullet-proof polymer that is replacing polycarbonate for military and security applications. Please see our bullet video demonstrations for an unbelievable sight in comparison to Polycarbonate." I've seen the demo, but I can't find it online.

My Decots and Randolphs both did good work for me, but I feel that I've gained more with these than I ever did with any other shooting glasses.

I may have to switch...

Sidelock
Sidelock

R40X - Doubtful that clip-ons will work with your standard glasses. For most of us, when our head is in shooting position, we look into the top frame of our street glasses. Shooting glasses are designed to ride high, so that when your head is on the stock, you're still looking thru the center of the lens

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Remington40x
Is there anyone who makes a "clip-on" style shooting glass that can be used with your standard prescription lenses? I'd prefer not to pay to have a bunch of prescription lenses ground in various colors if there were a more economical solution.

Try transition lenses. They probably will not highlight the clay but will work for general hunting. I still own an old pair of Ray Bans that work great for when I am moving in and out of the woods.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.