April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Der Ami, Mark II, Bob Jurewicz, SKB, Argo44, 1 invisible), 875 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,832
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#222578 03/21/11 09:02 PM
Weston Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Like a lot of folks, I've paid for insurance, usually USPS, for many, many years without ever knowing who it was that was actually insured against damage. Recently I received a martini cadet that had the Lyman peep crushed without damage to the rifle itself. As it turns out, from the PO point of view either party can make the claim and as a practical matter both buyer and seller have to cooperate in the claim process. Mine was a relatively small claim, $95, handled largely on-line, and settled without question in about 3 weeks. As an aside, it is my understanding that UPS in particular will virtually never pay a claim but that's hearsay.

My experience was ok since it didn't really involve damage to the gun but just an easily replaceable add on piece. And it doesn't necesarily answer the question about who is the insured in the case of damage. I suppose I mean actually whose burden is it to deal with the problem. It seems obvious where an inspection period is given that the buyer is free to send it back. In the case of an "as is" transaction I'd think the same would be true since the item wouldn't be in the same condition as described. I can see alot of room for argument as well especially in the cases where the insurance is presented as optional.

Is there an absolutely right answer to this?

Last edited by Weston; 03/21/11 10:18 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I purchased a gun on GB.Gun was shipped insured through UPS.Stock was damaged in transit.Contacted the seller,he in turn contacted UPS. They sent an inspector to my FFL.They determined it was carriers fault.The seller was required to make the claim. They paid the seller since he was the actual buyer on the insurance.Seller paid me.Whole process took about a month.

The best hunting is between now and dark.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I shipped a gun to a buyer, gun was well packed but UPS managed to crack the stock through the hand. My buyer was asked to show the gun to UPS who took it and returned it to me and then refused to pay the claim for the minimum $100.00 saying it wasn't properly packaged.

I reimbursed my seller and then went back and forth with UPS' preidents office. I finally threatened to sue UPS in small claims court at which point they decided to pay the $100.00.

I have no doubt if the amount was greater they never would have paid.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

UPS has farmed out its insurance to Crawford,do a search of UPS Crawford and you will see all the complaints.There are alos thread on both G/B and A/a forums about their non payment of claims.

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had UPS dent up a set of L.C. Smith barrels pretty good last year on a gun that I was buying and having shipped to me.
I filed the claim but they would only deal with the shipper on all inquiries and even payment went to the shipper.
It took a while, and a lot of cooperation from the shipper, but they paid the claim and I got my money to go towards getting it fixed.

Due to this experience, I try to not deal with UPS anymore.

What I do not see as right is that They would only deal witht he shipper. It was MY item that was damaged that I paid for and they won't even send me the claim check!

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have my guns covered under my homeowner's policy. I have a rider for the big ticket guns and the rest are covered under the basic $5,000.
I ship many guns and never buy insurance. They are covered under the homeowner's.
I've never had a problem but, if I did, I would rather deal with my own insurance company.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I talked to a guy who worked many years in the USPS he said don't waste your money on insurance just have the package register with a signature required. They are more careful when they see this.

Sidelock
Sidelock

cept when one disappears...buy the insurance. murphy is always watchin for his opportunity to strike.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

I called NRA about shipping my K-80 via UPS and they said "NRA insurance covers the gun don't buy extra insurance from UPS" NO, I did not have to make a claim and I am glad that I did not have to.

bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

ed good, have you ever tried to collect a insurance claim with the USPS?
Go ahead waste your money, buy insurance they need the money. I'm just trying to tell you what a postal person said.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.