March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (AZMike, jcn, battle, Jim H., Lloyd3, Gerry Addison), 831 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,017
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#222782 03/23/11 10:39 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Another thread provided the impetus for this, for me, long overdue query. Last summer I acquired an antique Blackpowder cartridge double rifle in an out-of-date calibre.

Handloading is necessary for me to shoot this gun. It was in the pursuit of obtaining the various components needed I discovered that the state I live in, Massachusetts, had passed some laws I, shamefully, was unaware of.

Basically, A vendor in another state cannot legally send a MA resident anything that can be used in the making of a deadly projectile (wording my own, but close). That means I can't get brass, bullets, primers or powder sent to me.

Long story short, with luck and vendor ignorance, I got around the powder and, to a lesser extent, bullet ruling. The only vendor who would send me bullets in the weight needed only provided jacketed rounds, not pure lead. I will get a mould made once I slug the barrels.

The all-important brass I need can only be found at Buffalo Arms. Unfortunately, they won't sell & ship any to me. Thankfully, a customer service rep there who answered my third call told me what nobody else had: that I could get all these components sent to me if I had a Curios & Relics license.

How does one obtain one? Up until the aforementioned other thread I had just assumed I would apply for one at my city's police station where I renew my MA carry permit.

Now I'e learned from Mr Dudley's post that they are issued by the BATF. I've no idea my next course of action and would greatly appreciate any help I could get.

Many Thanks - Marc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Marc,

Getting a C&R is very simple and straight forward, just takes some time.
In regards to your black powder rifle. Federally, at least black powder and anything older than 1898 can be sent to and owned by an individual. Unfourtunatly every state has their own quirks and modifications of the laws. I know here in NY for example, we are able to own even black powder pistols without a permit, but you need a permit to fire it or to have all components for firing it togther with the gun in one place.

Back to the C&R license. It is well worth it. It costs $30 and is good for 3 years. You can go onto the ATF website and request the documents for application be sent to you. All that is required is the application. No finger print cards are required for C&R. You just fill out the two copies of the application, one for ATF and one for your local police chief. You send ATF's in with the payment and the police's direct to them for their records.
Within 60 days you will get your license providing that you pass the background check with ATF.
The fee is supposably refundable if you do not pass, but they do cash the check once it is received.

The C&R license allows you to purchase and receive directly, state to state and on-line, any firearm that is over 50 years old or on the ATF list of C&R elegable guns. Obviously with some models that were made for very long production runs, you may have to look up the serial numbers to prove date of manufacture. But with other guns, they are clearly over 50 years old.

So obviously the benefit is that if you are a collector, once you pay for more than on FFL transfer, you have paid for the C&R. And if you intend on buying even 2 guns in that 3 year period, it is well worth getting.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

Marc,

its pretty easy to do,you need to be sure to fill out the forms,avail on ATF site and keep good records in your bound book once you get the license.

Here are two good sites to go to on C&R

This one also has forms on top of the C&R threads
http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums.yuku.com/forums/113/C-R-FFL-discussion-board

Since your in Mass you may also enjoy this site,lots of guys one here getting C&R's as well.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/forum.php

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well I guess it could be worse. You Mass or New York residents could live in New Jersey which won't even recognise a C&R license. It's my understanding that even SARCO,a long time gun dealer in New Jersey, has finally given up and relocated to Penn.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Many Thanks, guys, for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Basically, I've been buying pre-1898 guns for years, BP or Nitro (proofed) and having them sent directly to my house no problem.

The added benefit of upping the date of manufacture to 50 years prior is a nice cherry on top of my "Massachusetts banana-head split".

Like I mentioned, my primary need is just to get the darn components so I can load the guns I've already gotten shipped to me. Can you imagine a sillier law? Don't answer that, I'm sure they're out there!

But it WILL be nice to be able to get more "modern" guns without having to have them shipped to an FFL holder, which these days is a gundealer's shop for me.

Once again, I appreciate the help. I'm extremely pleased that it seems MUCH easier than anticipated.

Best Regards - Marc

Sidelock
Sidelock

So simple a caveman can do it. Be sure to identify your local CLEO (a mastery of jargon and acronyms always helps) correctly as choosing incorrently will result in some delay. Otherwise, the Feds are reassuringly prompt on issuance and renewal imo. They don't hang about watching your porch for long packages either but do yourself a favor and respect the "bound book" requirement and enter the information on the date when you receive the gun (or other). I don't know personally what the regs stipulate on component purchases but be sure you do.

jack

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

OK, Rabbit, I'll bite (a little 40's slang). What is my local CLEO? And here I thought it was going to be easy..........

Gimme a C!_______________

Gimme an L!______________

Gimme an E!______________

Gimme an O!_______________

Boxlock
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: Krakow Kid
OK, Rabbit, I'll bite (a little 40's slang). What is my local CLEO? And here I thought it was going to be easy..........

Gimme a C!_______________

Gimme an L!______________

Gimme an E!______________

Gimme an O!_______________

"Chief Law Enforcement Officer". Police Chief, Sheriff etc. I've gotten calls from local asking what they're supposed to do with it? MA may be different.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Once again, I appreciate the help. I'm extremely pleased that it seems MUCH easier than anticipated.

Marc:
I thought I'd add this considering your location. You DON'T NEED the CLEO approval to get a C&R license you merely have to inform them.
Here in Arizona when I've sent a copy of my C&R application to the The Maricopa County Sherrifs Office I've received a thank you letter from the Sherrif. I doubt if you'll get the same response in Massachusetts. grin
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim is correct, no need for approval just that they get a copy.

My neighbor was my CLEO the first time so I just dropped it off when I stopped in to visit,do the same with the new chief too.

Hillary For Prison 2018
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.