May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (LetFly, ClapperZapper, L. Brown, Jimmy W, Marks_21, 1 invisible), 667 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,593
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

No thank you. That deal is dead.
Mr. Blair, I saw that reply. It is not that HE will not sell or trade to a C&R. It is that he does not want to package up and ship himself, so he has his 01FFL do it for him. And it is His FFL that will not send to an 03FFL C&R.

Last edited by B. Dudley; 03/24/11 09:08 AM.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not to take this on a tangent, but I'll throw this in since someone brought up gunstocking. Just to confirm as others have written, that gents doing stocking work where the frame of the gun is involved, must have a commercial type FFL for a for-profit operation. That assumes he has a place of business, insurance, etc. Just lately I've heard from a reliable source that the BATF, here in the northeast at least, is asking custom stockers to change over at renewal time, from a Type 01 to a Type 07 FFL. Type 07 is a "Manufacturer of firearms other than NFA weapons".

Just reporting what is happening..... Silvers

I AM SILVERS, NOT SLIVER = two different members. I'm in the northeast, the other member is in MT.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Perfectly legal in PA too, Geo!!! smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Legal in NH as well (along with lots of other stuff-like auto knives and guns-with tax stamp of course!)

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Bob Blair
Guess Mr. Dudley can go ahead with the deal now. The fellow says he will deal with CC&R FFL holders now.

Nope, he is now back peddling and will not agree that he is !

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

Silvers:

I have heard this too, and it makes no sense. I can understand someone who takes an unbuilt frame or receiver and builds a complete rifle or shotgun as being a manufacturer. I can also understand calling a guy who builds a M1911 type pistol from the ground up a manufacturer.

How can you call a stockmaker or custom stocker a manufacturer?

To me, it just seems like another way to get people to decide it is not worth the hassle. Therefore, reducing the number of FFLs.

The Firearms Technology Branch lost alot of common sense when Ed Owen retired.....

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I went through the literature what separates a Gunsmith or dealer FFL (01) from a manufacturer FFL. According to that, the typical stock maker or gunsmith would not be considered a manufacturer. The only case that seems to fall under this would be if someone is building or assembling custom guns on a regualr basis as part of their business.
The example that ATF gave, was if a gunsmith is regularly buying surplus military guns and then sporterizing and reselling them as part of his normal operations, then he would be a manufacturer.
The occational custom buld or conversion does not qualify you as a manufacturer. It has to be a routine operation.
Or if you are operating as a subcontracter that is consistently doing one operation on a part to go into another part, then you would be considered a manufacturer.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

My local FFL dealer, whom I know well, and hunt with regularly, is VERY CAUTIOUS. He will not ship to a C&R licensee. He doesn't want to be at all involved in any possible federal or local violations.

While he understands the C&R license, he thinks the small amount of revenue involved is not worth it.

He is a very nice fellow, but VERY CAUTIOUS. It is his business, and his FFL license. So I too abide by his preferences when selling a firearm.

Similarly, he will not ship any gun to California. He says the chance of doing "something wrong" and losing his FFL license, and business, is not worth trying to comply with California regulations.

jerry

Last edited by jerry66stl; 03/25/11 05:44 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

There is careful and then there is ignorance.

If he can't understand the rules for shipping to a 03 FFL,but is happy to ship to an 01 I would say "VERY LAZY"or "VERY STUPID" is a better description !

"So I too abide by his preferences when selling a firearm"

Why ?You don't need him to ship your gun.

I have making my own decisions for many years and happy I don't have to let others make them for me.

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

While I concur with the sentiment stated above I still think the heart of the issue is MONEY and CONTROL. Guess what? No Type 3 FFLs? Then everyone HAS to ship thru a Type 1 any firearm that isn't pre 1899.
From a Type 1 holders view there are NO advantages to Type 3 licenses to them.
Oh and BTW: Can anyone on this forum cite a specific instance where someone holding a Type 1 license was charge with anything by the BATF when involved in shipping a suitable firearm to a Type 3 licensee?
Is anyone on this board with a Type 3 license aware of an instance where the holder of this license was charged with any kind of illegal behavior involving sending or receiving suitable firearms?
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.