May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Stanton Hillis, SKB, Chantry, Sandlapper, 1 invisible), 689 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,600
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Similarly, he will not ship any gun to California. He says the chance of doing "something wrong" and losing his FFL license, and business, is not worth trying to comply with California regulations.

In that case, his preferences go beyond "cautious" and straight to "stupid." If he can't figure out the rather simple requirement to get a DOJ number before shipping a long gun to CA, then he shouldn't be in this business. His privilege, though. As some comedian once said, "you can't fix stupid."

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: italiansxs
While I concur with the sentiment stated above I still think the heart of the issue is MONEY and CONTROL. Guess what? No Type 3 FFLs? Then everyone HAS to ship thru a Type 1 any firearm that isn't pre 1899.
From a Type 1 holders view there are NO advantages to Type 3 licenses to them.
Oh and BTW: Can anyone on this forum cite a specific instance where someone holding a Type 1 license was charge with anything by the BATF when involved in shipping a suitable firearm to a Type 3 licensee?
Is anyone on this board with a Type 3 license aware of an instance where the holder of this license was charged with any kind of illegal behavior involving sending or receiving suitable firearms?
Jim

That my friend is a great question !

I would love to know how jerrys dealer thinks eliminating 03 FFL's (and Kalif) is only a "small percentage" of his business"As he is does not take them how would he know ?

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

REPLY TO...

"I would love to know how jerrys dealer thinks eliminating 03 FFL's (and Kalif) is only a "small percentage" of his business"As he is does not take them how would he know ?"[/quote]

My dealer mostly sells new guns to locals, and is not very active in the used gun marketplace. For a few of his regular customers he will accept or ship a gun bought or sold on one of the on-line auctions. Big deal, he makes $15 or $25. California sales would be an infinitely small portion of his revenue, as would C&R transactions.

Another local gun dealer, even larger in size, will accept incoming "auction-gun-transactions", but will not ship any guns outbound, for anyone.

In both instances, these dealers have a satisfactory local clientle, and aren't willing to "take the risk" (perceived, if not actual) of shipping to a C&R or California dealer.

Perhaps if my livelihood, and my family's well-being, was solely derived from a gunshop, I might feel the same way, VERY CAUTIOUS! Its quite easy for someone on this board to postulate on how someone else should run their business, and what level of risks they should take. I'm a banker, and we don't cash checks for non-customers.

jerry6stl

Last edited by jerry66stl; 03/25/11 01:11 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Its HIS business, he can do what ever he wants. He can tell a local client to get the hell out of his store if he wants too.
And if he doesn't want to make this type of sell and lose all that revenue, (where's that smirk icon) well its his business ain't it?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Another local gun dealer, even larger in size, will accept incoming "auction-gun-transactions", but will not ship any guns outbound, for anyone.

Probably a good decision, because he's not in the shipping business. If a customer wants packing and shipping, he can go to a business that actually provides that service. No need to involve an FFL for packing and shipping. Kind of like not going to your banker for an oil change on your truck.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"I might feel the same way, VERY CAUTIOUS! Its quite easy for someone on this board to postulate on how someone else should run their business, and what level of risks they should take. I'm a banker, and we don't cash checks for non-customers."

First I do have a laugh at a banker-the same "profession" who brought us NINJA (No Income,No Job,Assets) loans talking about proper "risk".Kinda like a hooker worried about "promiscuity".
But I will not paint you with the same brush.

Next,could you or this "dealer" tell us what they feel is this extra risk in selling to a 03 FFL,as opposed to a 01 ?

I bet both of the dealers would trip over themselves fighting to buy any of our widows guns for 10% of their value and not care how they where shipped to or from their shop !

Also,just so your aware,there is no need to have a FFL involved when shipping a gun-only the receiver needs one.
I know your dealer friend has NO CLUE about the gun laws/"risk" but it might be helpful if you knew what they where and had on up on him !

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

DAVE K, & Others...

I've sold many "personal shotguns" on gunbroker.com. My inerent weakness is that I'm a "GUNWHORE" at heart. After I own amd use a fine gun for some period of time, I tire of it and seek something new and different. So I both buy and sell on gunbroker, solely for my own use.

Many/most gun stores WILL NOT ACCEPT a direct shipment of a shotgun from an individual. They insist upon the shipper being an 01 FFL licensee. I clearly understand that the GCA-1968 does not require that to be the case; but nevertheless many FFL dealers insist upon shipment from/via another FFL licensee.

My opinion is that they deem this to be a safer route, and think that the other FFL dealer is likely to be following all state or local limitations.

Expediency warrants my cooperating with these dealer requests. Erego, I always use an 01 FFL licensee on both ends. Its a lot easier than trying to convince a gun store owner in a distant state, over the phone, that he should accept a direct shipment.

I have no personal axe to grind on this issue. I hope that at some future point in time, more 01 FFL dealers will become comfortable shipping to C&R licensees, and will accept shipments from law-abiding individuals. In the meantime, I'll continue using 01 dealers. I just try to "go with the flow...." My days of trying to change the world, and jousting at windmills, passed many years ago.

jerry6stl

Sidelock
Sidelock

jerry,

I along with most in here are the same,all gunwhores,love to buy them and sometimes when the safes overflow sell them. I am a proud member of the same club as you are !

Now to this most dealers won't accept shipment from and individual BS.There may well be some,but each and every one will buy a gun for less then half of whats its worth from widows and divorces who don't know any better and not ask for a FFL to accept it ! They are just WHORES !
The buyer(s) are the one(s) who should be talking on the phone and finding a "normal" 01 FFL not you,thats how I do it.
G/B,A/A and G/I have long lists for every state full of 01 FFL's that are more then happy to accept guns for transfer without a 01 sending it.

I know its not you,and as long as you know you don't need one-to sell or ship but chose to use one that's all up to you.Just was not sure you knew you didn't require it.

Do understand there is NO extra risk what-so-ever between a 01 and 03 FFL for shipping or sales.The issue with any dealer that claims there is greed !Their not getting what they want-the gun sale, so they make up "VERY CAUTIOUS" and "Risk" with NO basis in fact.The key words are really just "Greedy" or "Ignorant" or both !

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's easy to heckle from the cheap seats and quite another to be playing in the game......

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doncha wish that BATF would post a "FAQ" section which would answer all these questions which are debated endlessly by people who have opinions, or think they know the law?

Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.