April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (trw999), 146 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,431
Posts544,705
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

If it were mine I would clean the whole stock with nothing but raw linseed oil and 0000 steel wool. Then sit back and reevaluate what it looks like.

I understand that you will have to refinish the repaired part but possibly not the entire rifle?

Good news that the metal is not going to have to be redone, sometimes it looks a lot worse than it is.

PS: Is there any checkering on the underside of the bolt?

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

Michael: Who is your source for Raw Linseed Oil?

The Sons of Alvin Linden
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm with Michael, no way I'd strip and refinish that stock. Just some linseed and very moderate use of steel wood. Look at how clean and crisp the forend checkering is, you will loose this if you refinish. Howards makes a product called restor-a-finish which I have used with very good results on some pretty bad stocks. You might be amazed what you can do with the finish that is on the rifle.

John

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gasgunner
I'm with Michael, no way I'd strip and refinish that stock. Just some linseed and very moderate use of steel wood. Look at how clean and crisp the forend checkering is, you will loose this if you refinish. Howards makes a product called restor-a-finish which I have used with very good results on some pretty bad stocks. You might be amazed what you can do with the finish that is on the rifle.

John

That is interesting stuff. I have seen it, or something very similar at a local Ace Hardware. But how durable is this for something like a hunting rifle?

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Be aware tha linseed oil takes forever to dry in typical humid weather that we have in the US.you will need a drying cabinet and/or add some japan dryer to the linseed oil.I have a tackle box drying now that has been drying for the last 2 months and is still a bit tacky. I used linseed oil mixed with turpentine 50/50 over vinegar paint.I may have put on too thick a coat though.You can't beat the "look" for a vintage item and that is why I use it. Easy to repair too.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I buy my raw linseed oil at the artist supply store.

We do not care if it dries or not, that is not what is needed now. The stock needs to be cleaned with the oil so it does not degrade the underlining finish. Just slop it on until it drips off then use the oil as it were soap and water, scrub the wood down with the 0000 steel wool. Then wipe off all the oil off with a dry clean rag.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Originally Posted By: gasgunner

John

That is interesting stuff. I have seen it, or something very similar at a local Ace Hardware. But how durable is this for something like a hunting rifle?

Brent

The original oil finish has protected the wood for the last 80 or so odd years, and will likely last another 100. I think what we are trying to do is preserve as much of that original finish as we possible can. A refinish will always be a refinish regardless of how well it is done. You have a lot of original finish left on that rifle, way to much in my opinion to strip and refinish it. I think if you oil it well, carefully remove the paint splotches, and give it a rub down every few months, you will be surprised at what you will end up with.

John

Sidelock
Sidelock

yes, there isn't anything better than linseed oil to use as a cleaner for pre=1940 finishes. I just cleaned a circa 1920 faux finished dresser that had been in a barn for the last 50 years and it came out really nice. I soaked in the linseed oil and then wet sanded with 400 grit paper and wiped off the excess and I am amazed how good it looks. I really didn't think it would work given the condition of the finish.I probably would have skipped the sandpaper if it had been a rare antique and just used burlap or some other course cloth that didn't leave lint behind.The smell stays for awhile and may bother some but I like it.

Brian Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brian,

Thanks for the new pictures.

My first impression was the rifle came out of the Wundhammer shop. I've only seen that buttplate on a Wundhammer, the schnabel and layout is a lot like his work.

But it all ends there, the checkering and checkering layout is not his work and the stock is way to thick. You can see this where the Lyman 48 had to be inletted into the stock.

The inletting is not his and there is way to much wood removed for whatever reason. Did the stock break because if the missing wood, Or was the wood removed in an attempt to repair the stock.

Ross King worked in his shop for sometime before he went on his own but the work does not look like his. I'll check my files because I remember that someone else worked for him for a while.

Regardless of who did the work it's well worth some effort to restore it. Good luck....MP

Wundhammer's Work,

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.