May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Karl Graebner, Hammergun, Santiago Chahin, Sun Dog), 694 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,601
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fortunately I have never been involved with a seller who would not ship a C&R gun to my C&R address. My local 01FFL "only" charges $30 for a transfer. However, I would have to decide whether a gun that I really wanted was worth $30 more if I ran into one of these ignorant and/or greedy sellers who refused to honor my 03FFL. Why did the BATF create the 03FFL if not for this? Its like the local drivers who won't turn right on red when the intersection is clear, even though they legally can. Even if you have an H1 with an I-beam welded to the front you can't legally push them through the intersection, even though thats what you would like to do. Like Ron White said "you can fix ugly, but you can't fix stupid". Unfortunately, there are a lot of unfixable people out there and gun collectors and dealers are not exempt.
On the other hand in the rare instance where I sell a gun and the buyer demands that I ship it from an 01FFL, he is going to pay the $30 or he doesn't get the gun.

Great-Great Grandson of D.M. Lefever
www.lefevercollectors.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GunPlumber
It's easy to heckle from the cheap seats and quite another to be playing in the game......

and this from some one who thinks the C&R is not a FFL
GunPlumber:
"As far as the C&R license, it is not an FFL. A C&R license allows you to collect for your own use, not to act as a go between or dealer."

BTW Gun Plumber,many in the "cheap seats" have more invested in guns and knowledge then those in the 01 seats !

tudrgs ;
"Doncha wish that BATF would post a "FAQ" section which would answer all these questions which are debated endlessly by people who have opinions, or think they know the law?'

They do ! here ya go;
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html

http://www.atf.gov/contact/faq/

Dr Bob;
"However,I would have to decide whether a gun that I really wanted was worth $30 more if I ran into one of these ignorant and/or greedy sellers who refused to honor my 03FFL. Why did the BATF create the 03FFL if not for this? Its like the local drivers who won't turn right on red when the intersection is clear, even though they legally can. Even if you have an H1 with an I-beam welded to the front you can't legally push them through the intersection, even though thats what you would like to do. Like Ron White said "you can fix ugly, but you can't fix stupid". Unfortunately, there are a lot of unfixable people out there and gun collectors and dealers are not exempt."

Agree 100% and,after filling out the 4473,then you still have to put in in your bound book ! Thats why when I run into ignorant/greedy dealers who will not take my FFL I pass on the deal !

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

And I stand by what I said. A C&R license does not give you the ability to act as a dealer in firearms. It simply allows you to assemble a collection for personal use.

What part of running a business as a licensee sees fit do you not get?

Last edited by GunPlumber; 03/26/11 07:26 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Let me see if I understand all this. You buy a C&R eligible gun from someone. The seller is "Mr Cautious" and decides that even though you show them it's perfectly legal to ship the gun to you and send them a copy of your C&R license for shipment.
He takes the gun to his local 01 FFL along with a copy of your C&R. The 01 FFL then refuses to ship the gun to anyone other than another 01 FFL even though he'd knows it's perfectly legal to do so.
Let's see what this 01FFLs exact liability is inre. to his 01 License? He has to ship the gun to the named individual and address on the license. That is the requirement for C&R shipment and in doing so he has complied with the BATF regulations. What exactly could he do here to put himself or his license at risk by following these regulations to a T?
Any firearm I have shipped goes out with tracking and a "signature required" at the other end so I can verify it was delivered should ther ever be an issue(never happened to me).
Again "Just where does this 01FFLs liability kick in in the above tansaction?"
I am right back to my initial point it's all about Money and control on the part of some 01 FFL holders.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would suggest a test case. One of us who have a C&R 03FFL is refused shipment of an eligible gun by an 01FFL.
File a formal complaint with the BATF.
Perhaps, the 01FFL holder will lose their license because they are too stupid to have one.
As I look at this it is funny. At the Honolulu Airport bars the bartender is required to "card" everybody. Even me with gray hair and a beard. No big deal, I just laugh at being "carded".
However, if they decided that they would't serve anybody younger than 60, and I don't meet that requirement quite yet, although I am quite over the legal age of 21 to purchase alcohol, can they do this?
Well, I suppose that they might get away with it, although it would be stupid from a business standpoint. I wonder what would happen if I sued on an age discrimentation basis if that were to happen?
I don't know how the BATF runs, but in most circumstances, failure to know the law, and comply with it, including the rights of an 03FFL holder, would result in penalties to those denying those those rights to those holding that license.

Last edited by DrBob; 03/26/11 02:32 AM.

Great-Great Grandson of D.M. Lefever
www.lefevercollectors.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was just thinking about my experience with 01 FFL holders when buying C&R firearms. Every single one of them has been exemplary. Not one has ever refused or even hinted at a question about my CC&R FFL. Perfect transactions all.

I was also thinking that every one of my C&R purchases has been above the $1500 mark, most of them much more than that. I don't think there are very many stupid people that are successful businessmen and have 01 FFL's.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GunPlumber
And I stand by what I said. A C&R license does not give you the ability to act as a dealer in firearms. It simply allows you to assemble a collection for personal use.

"What part of running a business as a licensee sees fit do you not get?"

1) You said it was not a FFL ! It is,its 03 FFL !
BTW it allows you to do more then just "assemble a collection" go read it.

"http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/curios-relics.html#license-privileges

"Q: What does “engaged in the business” mean?

The term “engaged in the business,” as applicable to a firearms dealer, is defined as a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to dealing in firearms as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the repetitive purchase and resale of firearms
, but such term shall not include a person who makes occasional sales, exchanges, or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or for a hobby, or who sells all or part of his personal collection of firearms."

2) You can run a business any way you like but telling me its more "risk" or your being "CAUTIOUS" and not take a 03 FFL is BS !Your either ignorant or greedy or both as there is no additional risk involved !
Now if they said no 03 FFL's as I am "to greedy" "to lazy" or "to stupid" to accept them,that's fine with me.

There are lots of 01 FFL who don't do transfers for anyone,thats fine too.Many of the custom gun builders and gunsmiths don't accept transfers unless its for their regular customers,again fine and it makes sense.They have a talent that rewards them better then running a day to day gunshop,wasting time with transfers instead doing the more lucrative work they are skilled at is understandable.
Not the same as a 01 dealer who claims 03's are "more risky" so he will not deal with them.

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
I don't think there are very many stupid people that are successful businessmen and have 01 FFL's.

I think this thread pretty much proves that opinion may not be correct.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dave K - Thanks for the "FAQ" reference. Should be required reading for anyone who posts on this subject

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is just no reasoning with someone afflicted with Napoleon syndrome.

To each his own. In the end, it really doesn't matter how you interpret the law anyway. If you are not happy with the service provided by an 01 FFL, you certainly have the right to find another.

Just as they certainly have the right to refuse service to you.

Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.