April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (AaronN, Der Ami, fallschirmjaeger, arrieta2, Stanton Hillis, 1 invisible), 961 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,435
Posts544,706
Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm trying to find a Lyman 48 for the '03 Springfield and would be happy to trade the same from a Model 70.I had one on hand and then acquired a second '03 project that required one also. The latest one is a Sedgley left hand conversion that arrived as a barreled action. A few years ago I had a Griffin and Howe LH conversion and it was so similar to this one that I suspect they were both done by the same worker. Is there any information to suggest this sort of connection between G&H and Sedgley? I think I'm going to be pleased with this rifle when I get it completed, and it cost, at this point, exactly 1/10 what I got for the G&H.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Is it a gear drive lefty, or a direct drive?

John

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

John, It's direct drive, and if you didn't know the arsenal didn't make them that way, you'd be surprised to learn it's a conversion after all. I have some good photos of the G&H I'd post if I were competent to do so. If there's any interest, I could forward them to someone who could put them up here.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Photographs are always welcomed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill,

The Lyman 48C as was used on the 1922 series Springfields came with what I call a deep base. It required inletting the wood to mount. Later Lyman 48S models have a base that is not so deep and it will fit on the receiver above the wood. A period correct 1903 Sporter or target rifle should have the earlier deep base model. A sporter just made up as a shooter would be fine with the later sight. The Lyman 48 for the Springfield has a step up in the windage/elevation slide. One just sold today on ebay for less than $120. The seller didn't know what rifle it would fit. The elevation scale will be numbered to 125. The ones referred to as the long slide was numbered to 150. Later Lyman 48S sights will have the elevation scale numbered to 60 or 90. Maybe some to a little higher number but not to 125. This is probably more than you wanted to know but here it is FWIW.

Herschel

Last edited by Herschel; 04/14/11 09:39 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It may or may not be more than he wanted to know, but I am glad you posted. I now know more than I did a few minutes ago about the differences in some sights that I own. Thank you!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Herschel, Thanks for the rundown on 48 variations. It's the early style that I'll put on the Sedgley. I'd prefer that one also for the second rifle since I like to stock Springfields in 30's style.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

rocky mtn bill, I suggest you look for the Lyman 48 that has the hinged peep on the front of the threaded hole the aperture screws into. This was the sight that came on the 1903 NRA Sporters. I deer hunt with an NRA Sporter using the original iron sights. I just aim through the threaded hole as that is plenty accurate for the distances I would get a shot in the woods. The hinged peep was an interesting idea that, IMO, had limited usefulness. Some gun writers back in the day even suggested it be removed from the site lest it be half turned down when an opportunity for a shot occurred. Still, I like the idea of the instantly available aperture sizes. It is easy to recognize this Lyman 48 as the front of the threaded hole has a milled out place where you can take a fingernail and catch the top of the hinged aperture (peep) and turn it down.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lyman 48 selection is further complicated by the myriad of styles and dimensions that evolved over time. The earliest examples had the 'full block' base with the elevation screw's bottom end being captive against the inside of the long slide and with relatively small adjusting knobs and 1/2-minute clicks. Later the sight was offered with larger target-style knobs and 1/3-minute clicks as well, with a shorter slide as described in the post above. Still later, perhaps in the late '40s or early '50s, the 'full-block' sight was again modified to use a different elevation adjusting screw that didn't require a captive lower end. This newer sight's adjusting screws have 1/4-minute clicks but the visible knurled portion of the adjusting screws still retain the prewar look. This sight also retains the earlier rounded lower side of the elevation slide. The last iterations of the 48 had a shorter scalloped-out base that was relieved to clear the stock wood and was available with either smaller 'hunter'/'stayset' knobs or larger target knobs. These last sights also had squared-off bottoms on their elevation slides instead of the earlier and more attractive rounded-bottom style.

These are the major variations but I've also seen numerous sub-variations of these, e.g. with the horizontal adjustment scales on different sides of the peep and with fold-down peeps present in some but not others seemingly of the same vintage.

I have a few, a VERY few, parts for these sights. If anyone needs help I'll be glad to do my best to assist. I don't have any spare 48 sights, sorry.
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill,

I would love to see pictures of the conversion. I have a 1941 model 70 that was converted to left hand and got beat out at an auction on a Sedgley left hand converted Springfield a while back. I am always interested in seeing the lefty conversions. Some were very good, some not so but all are interesting.

Marty

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.