April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Birdog), 1,189 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,299
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck,
Oh yeah. Been cooking since a teenager, when Dad's expertise with steak and spagetti wore thin...after a year or so. My brother and I complained and Dad enacted the hunting camp solution; we had to cook
My wife's a much better cook, and chinese style pheasant and duck is excellent, as is her wild game paella. Mmm.

Spinning off topic....my wife's grandfather (a bigwig in Chiang's army) told of military social occaisons with pheasant and boar hunting in China. He was disappointed and embarrassed with his shooting, all misses. They shot while still mounted on horseback! I didn't say so at the time but the mongol influence is obvious.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I cook everything I take from deer to squirrel and including groundhog. I believe it compliments hunting perfectly.

Kurt

Sidelock
Sidelock

I began cooking as a teenager as my Mother became more and more crippled with rheumatoid arthritis it was a race between my Father and I as to who got home first and cooked dinner, as the other then did the dishes. Pheasant or Quail in Lutheran sauce (Cambell's Cream of Mushroom Soup) was a standard as were stuffed and roasted Ducks. In fact two Pheasants are thawed out and going to hit the pan in a couple of hours. Our absolute favorite wild game dish is the Dove Pie from the Aug-Sep 1991 Shooting Sportsman, pages 74-75.

Last edited by Researcher; 01/28/07 06:37 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was an avid bird hunter from a young age. My mother and grandmother both cooked upland game well. Usually just sauteing some onions till wilted then removing, lightly browning the meat (boneless) and then making a gravy and serving over rice.
When I went away to college I hunted often. I have always felt that anyone who kills game must eat it or they are just killers. I became very interested in cookiing wild game. I started collecting wild game cook books.
I do love to cook. I cook better than my wife and she would not even consider cooking wild game.
I could go on about the subject to some extent. Suffice to say, I love to cook and eat wild game. When done right (which is not hard or complicated) there is nothing better. And, I say that having traveled extensively and eaten in many many fine restraunts. Jake

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
Sidelock

Most of my cooking is now just the baking on Thanksgiving and Christmas.

My son's still enjoy the "Navy Breakfest" when they are home visiting. I do all the cooking at duck camp.

I think it's funny that son #2 is an active duty sailor, but he wants that "Navy Breakfest" from me when he is home.

Kind regards,

Sidelock
Sidelock

I love to cook, especially wild game. You should use your imagination when cooking. A friend of mine who is an excellent wild game cook taught me that. He always says anyone can cook from a cookbook, you should learn certain principles of cooking and then use your imagination.

Researcher, I've eaten a lot of meals in the Fellowship Halls of Lutheran Churches. I can't recall where covered dishes were mentioned in Luther's Small Catechism, but it must be in there.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The only real trick to cooking wild game is don't cook it very long. (Unless you cook it VERY long such as in a stew.) Wild game is almost always lean. Since there is little or no fat it gets dry real quick. Wild duck should be cooked flat out rare. Upland game just cooked through. People that don't like wild game invariably cook it till it is dry and tough.

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
Sidelock

I cook everything I that I hunt and kill. I am pretty good at it too. I have taken recipies from both of my grandmothers and used them on venison with great success. I rarely give anything away. I am afraid that it will just go to waste. To much time effort and money goes into hunting to waste the meat. When you figure what you spend on hunting and all that goes into it the meat you bring to the table cost mort than filet mignon or lobster so why waste it on those who will just turn it into shoe leather.

Bill G.

Sidelock
Sidelock

LOL Researcher! My late Grandma Bredvold did her best to ensure that the Campbell's Soup Co. remained profitable.

Cameron Hughes

Been hunting 40 years, been in the food industry professionally 34 years. Hunting and cooking/eating need to go together to really complete the cycle with proper reverence.

There was never a better trophy than the memory of a perfect meal that you brought home from the field.

Jeff

Jeff
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.