March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (PALUNC, Karl Graebner, Jtplumb, Caravaggio), 300 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

If I shoot it, I cook, eat and enjoy every bite.

OK, one recipe, works with most any medium or larger upland bird-

Fillet breast meat, pound thin, season with a mixture of paprika, salt, black pepper, thyme, onion powder and garlic powder, dredge with flour seasoned with more of the same mix. Saute quickly in olive oil, deglaze pan with some white wine, reduce and whisk in a little butter for a sauce. Or skip the flour part and grill over a hot fire.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Guilty. No recipes. Make it up as I go along, depending on what's available. Other than a few standards for doves and ducks, I experiment and seldom cook the same thing the same way twice. Love to surprise the guys on opening and closing weekends. Nothing going tonight, no ducks in the area. Bummer.

RMC Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Married a vegetarian for her looks, not for her fried tofu and vegalinks. She was a widow with 3 kids and it took me less than a month till 4 of the 5 of us were chewing on venison chops. Adopted two more and before all got married or left the house it was 6 meat eating hunters to one beautiful mother of the house. My first fathers day the kids gave me a gas grill. That was 17 years ago. I had to cook or starve, my choice. And yes, my bride is still a 10. Randy

RMC
Sidelock
Sidelock

RMC,
I have heard that term Randy before. Can't remember what it means but your post has struck a chord. You are randy, right? Er, Randy that is. Loved your post. Regards, Jake

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
RMC Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jake, Thanks for the compliment. Sorta confused, Yes,thats my given name because Sue was already taken. Family had to move out of Ohio in the 70's, cause I grew up looking like the milkman. Just kidding. Hope this helps. Randall

RMC
Sidelock
Sidelock

I started hunting because I was in the wine business and wanted game to eat while drinking fine red wines. I wanted to cook game but didn't want to pay the high price for game from a butcher.

25 years later, I don't drink much of anything anymore and if you add up all the money I've spent on guns, ammo, clothes, airfare, gas, etc. I probably could have bought all the game I ever wanted to eat but I'd have never known the feeling of being out in the wild at some ungodly hour to experience the things I have, meet the people I have, appreciate the outdoors and the hunting tradition.

I never kill anything I don't plan to eat and I love to cook it all. Currently have saved up all the pheasant legs and thighs from the past season and will turn them into confit. Then it's on to venison terrine.

My friends and family love it all if properly prepared and I love to prepare classic game dishes.

Will be out in AZ next week chasing javelina. Hopefully javelina in green chile sauce for the Superbowl!

Rob

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Since I am retired and live alone and no woman would ever put up with me, I have to cook. I have been making Christmas and Thanksgiving dinner for several years for my son and brother. I have a freezer full of dove, pheasant and rabbit. It is usually a toss up of whether I am not too lazy to cook or eat a TV Dinner. Ain't life grand?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Chuck, I've always been a big fan of eating!

Me too. I'm a pretty good cook; my late Father sometimes said "Man as can't look after himself isn't but half a man". He could put a good if plain meal on the table, so I followed him. Game cookery came as an afterthought.

I use game cookery as a way of introducing the shooting sports to people who have had no experience or exposure to them. My niece, brother in law, and sister in law are all happy to receive a few birds and regard them as a tasty, healthy, treat.

Regards
Eug

Thank you, very kind. Mine's a pint
Sidelock
Sidelock

I cook all wild game and upland birds in my house, with the exception on rare occasions when my wife cooks quail I have prepared. I have cooked a bit over the years, but really came to enjoy it and try to improve upon it after a knee surgery. I was laid up for three weeks with nothing to do but watch the Food Channel on Dish TV. I was able to hobble around enough to get up into the kitchen and try some of the things I saw. When my wife came home from work, dinner was usually ready. She loved it and I enjoyed it. I now prepare dinner each evening if I get home in time so as to avoid eating after 1830. We sometimes stretch it to 1900, but any later than that and we will have a sandwich, etc. Dinner later than that, at least for me, results in no sleep that night. I usually prepare Sunday brunch if we do not go out. I have equipped myself with good pots and pans, good knives, and good utensils. It makes all the difference in the world

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member

I love to cook wild game. I guess it started when I killed my first rabbit and had to prepare it since my Mother refused. She said (rightly so) that a skinned rabbit looked too much like a cat.

I made goose meatballs last friday night. Delicious. Duck, however, is my favorite meat day in and day out. Grouse, pheasant, chukar and quail are all good, but I get so few that I can't try out new recipes. Duck and goose, on the other hand, fill my freezer.

Here's a recipe for those who claim they don't like duck...give this one a try, at least once:

6 duck breasts, boneless, skinless, fat less
8 strips bacon
1/2 cup orange marmalade
1/2 red wine
flour for dredging
salt and pepper to taste

Crisp the bacon in a large skillet that you can cover
remove bacon and set aside

While bacon is crisping dredge duck breast in flour, season.

Fry duck breast for NO MORE than 2 minutes per side (1 to 1 1/2 would be better)

After both sides are brown add wine and marmalade, reduce to simmer and cover...simmer for 18 minutes, or less.

Serve the duck breast hot, with crumbled bacon on top. There will be a gravy of sorts in the pan, which is fabulous with biscuits.

Todd

Youth is stolen by Wisdom.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.