May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (earlyriser, Karl Graebner, 2 invisible), 249 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,518
Posts545,712
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Treblig,
Not trying to argue, but everytime I've seen a documentary, film or pictures of PH's, they have a beat up old bolt gun, usually and M70 or M98.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As I post, I am watching Under Wild Skies, the great Outdoor Channel show produced by my friend Tony Makris. His PH on a buffalo hunt is carrying a wonderful clamshell action double rifle among the bolt guns. Unfortunately, I don't know the maker of this rifle.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree Chuck I see them also. However when a wounded animal runs into the thick stuff most of the time someone off camera is handing that PH an English built double rifle.

Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

When I've seen footage of that situation, usually 2 or 3 guys, with big guns and really big eyes and expressions like they are about to dirty their diapers, are shown going in.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ever read Hemingway's short story, "The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber"? If not, find a copy. You'll get a pretty good idea of what it's like to go into the tall grass......

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've a slight bone to pick.

"--- wonderful weignt, balance, and handling!" Uummmmmm! That is like saying whichever maker you favor has wonderful stock dimensions. Wonderful for who? Since many "best work" guns are bespoke, we should assume that the stock dimensions and handling dimensions suited the the bespeaker. We should also assume that the "best work" gunmaker satisfied himself that the bespeaker was properly advised as to his specifications. That is to say, the bespeaker will have a gun which suits him/her personally for the purpose communicated to the maker. If this is not so, then the maker did not do due dilligence.

For purchasers of preowned/used or off-the-peg best guns, you have to assure yourself that the gun has stock dimensions and handling dimension that fit/suit you or can be successfully modified to do so.

Handling dimensions are no more unique to any maker than are stock dimensions. Was that Purdey you are dreaming of a light game or a game weight gun? Could it have been a heavy game, light pigeon, pigeon, or a light fowling gun? Or were you thinking of a big 'ole fowler? Purdey has made/makes 'em all and their handling dimensions are different. Ergo, one can't say, "Purdeys handle thus and so."

Thus endeth the rant.

Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've never ordered a "bespoke" gun, let alone a London "best", but what little I understand about them being built to customer specs and my preference in gun characteristics, I see the logic of Don's 'bone'. I also gotta believe if 'London' made a gun with certain characteristics, Ferlach, Eibar, Scotland or about any other competent accomplished double maker can easily make a gun with the same weight, balance, weight distribution, etc.. It's not a mystical witch's brew, it's engineering, albeit the first guy that did the engineering that made it all come together was an artist of an engineer.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The barrel makers might disagree, and say that there is a lot of art in selecting the right steel and striking the barrels properly for the particular metal to get the required strength, weight and balance.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Doverham
The barrel makers might disagree, and say that there is a lot of art in selecting the right steel and striking the barrels properly for the particular metal to get the required strength, weight and balance.

Its something new to me. How many "right" barrel steels you know and what is difference in strength of them?
There is English type of barrel design with heavy breech end, also there are German, Austrian etc.
What can change balance and handling of particular gun design is wood.

Geno.
Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Doverham,
I have to respectfully disagree here. There may have been "...a lot of art..." the first time it all came together, but now, it's more about copying versions of what worked (whether it's the heavy barrels for a duck gun or light barrels for an upland gun.

Barrels can be and without a doubt, are measured even by H&H (I saw that in the video), suitable steels for barrels are narrowed down pretty well to fractions of percentage of alloying agents.

I think a more accurate discription of building a good set of barrels would be: there's a lot of skill in replicating the processes to create them.

Last edited by Chuck H; 05/12/11 01:40 PM.
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.