May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (smlekid), 238 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,556
Posts546,278
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

A friend shot an elk with his 9.3x74R; it dropped without taking a step. It was only later he noticed a 3" sapling, 15 paces away, with a nice clean hole in the center.

Best,

C.

lostdan Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks for all the replies,
There is a lots to choose from, now to look at the ballistics, reviews, and brass availability. I have been considering a falling block in 45-70gov till I saw a custom double falling block and fell in love. In single shot form 45-70 would be my choice. Now I have been trying rationalize getting one made. Being that it is a double gun I want it to be the most elegant but useful of cartridge as possible. As I plan on using it a great deal.
Again thanks for all the ideas.
Dan

Sidelock
Sidelock

The traditional European SS "stalking" rifle tended (s) to be a rather light elegant thing to make it ideal for, well, stalking. Like the Eastern US much of Germany and Austria where this style is popular is forested and hilly. Most of the continental middle-weights exist in a rimmed version to be optimized in combination guns and single shots.

My problem with the 45-70 is that a weapon to handle it comfortably is beyond what I would call a stalking rifle. Even a 9.3x74, which is a wonderful round, would need a platform with quite a bit of plain old weight.

A 30-30 in a custom single shot, however, could be built into a very elegant little thing indeed which will easily handle anything in the East. Because it is a single you could use any bullet design.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Joe Taylor

My problem with the 45-70 is that a weapon to handle it comfortably is beyond what I would call a stalking rifle.

The #3 Ruger is light and quick handling although, in my opinion, too light for most big guys to shoot comfortably. My carbine is just a skosh over 6 pounds. One of my cousins that weighs 260 lbs shot it and the thing recoiled back and gave him a black eye.

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
lostdan Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Sorry the way a worded my last post It looked like I was still looking at a single shot. I am looking a Double falling block it looks like a Ruger #1 mated with a European double. It's called a Farquharson Double Rifle made by Bailey Bradshaw it screams to me midrange stalking cartridge. My first thoughts were 30-30 but if I am going custom I figured why not go all the way.
Dan

Sidelock
Sidelock

More sentiment than anything; the only big game I've taken is Newfoundland moose. I value the 7 X 57 performance so highly it would be my double rifle.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What would be the view of 8x57JR?

Berrien

Sidelock
Sidelock

If I wanted an American stalking rifle; then why not chamber the darned thing in an American cartridge. The 348 Win would be a great round; but ammo and brass are expensive and sometimes hard to find easily. A rimmed cartridge that has not been mentioned in the 444 Marlin; more than adequate for any hog or deer (and other critters) that roam the hills, hollows, and swamps of the south. The power, range, and accuracy of this cartridge has been much improved recently by Hornady in the development of their Leverevolution ammo line that now allows for a 265 grain pointed bullet. Most of today's rimmed rounds were designed for lever rifles; and if you go that route, I'd strongly encourage you to consider the recently introduced 338 Marlin Express. Loaded with Hornady's 200 grain LE round, this cartridge is the ballistic equal to the 30/06 180 gain factory loading out to 400 yards; it is supremely accurate, has modest recoil, and will absolutely flatten a whitetail deer (the only large game animal I've shot with this round). I've also read a number of posts where individuals reported one-shot kills on bear, hogs, elk, moose, and buffalo with the 338ME cartridge.

lostdan Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Topgun, My go to hog and deer gun is a H&R 45 colt carbine. I like the Hornady Leverevolution ammo in it along with some cast bullets. I have been looking at all my options 308 me, 357max, 445 supermax(brass is harder to get) 454 casull, 45-70gov, ect..... needed some more ideas because I have never had a custom gun and it's probably only one I'll will get and I want to make it count. so I'll add 338me and 444marlin to the list.
Dan

Sidelock
Sidelock

9.3x74R again. Let's hear the downside for this cartridge. All these weird suggestions don't take into consideration availability. The ubiquitous .45-70 is not bad, but the 9.3x74R is a much more versatile shell should you need it.

The new Sabattis from Cabelas are an unproven quantity, but they look like the deal of the century @ $2999 for an entry-level double rifle.
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 05/30/11 02:26 PM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.