March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Argo44, DaveB, graybeardtmm3, Kip, bsteele, Jeremy Pearce), 803 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Three weeks ago while browsing the Gun Library of our local Cabelas I found very few British guns and was told by the clerk that the prices of British boxlock guns were so low that no one wanted to sell them and so the store was unable to buy any to replenish their stock.
Any one out there with first hand experience care to comment? Is this the time to buy? (If you can find a gun for sale!)

Sidelock
Sidelock

My guess is prices are only low if people need to sell. I would also differentiate between people who buy and sell guns as a profit making venture and those who enjoy owning and using a piece of history. The best guns are still commanding good money internationally, but someone here will be better versed in the American Market than me.

What is it about these old guns that draws us in?
www.firearms4sale.com.au
Sidelock
Sidelock

I know next to nothing about the economic climate of the United States. I'm still trying to figure out why, when a couple years ago the sub-prime mortgage wet dream blew up and the whole country was suicidal, within 6 months everything was "normal" and people were spending money like water again, although it can be argued that water is worth more.

But whatever that clerk told you sounds to me like the biggest string of nonsensical poppycock since Obama's last speech.

My humble, uninformed isolationist opinion.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Well I have a few I'm motivated to sell. In my view The market has tanked in them, and I have sold quite few in the past. Much easier for me to sell a decent rifle....any rifle, than a British BLNE.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Krakow Kid
I know next to nothing about the economic climate of the United States. I'm still trying to figure out why, when a couple years ago the sub-prime mortgage wet dream blew up and the whole country was suicidal, within 6 months everything was "normal" and people were spending money like water again, although it can be argued that water is worth more.

But whatever that clerk told you sounds to me like the biggest string of nonsensical poppycock since Obama's last speech.

My humble, uninformed isolationist opinion.

Gun sales are slow right now. Everyone who wanted to buy something(mostly black rifles) after the Kenyan stole the election has done so and doesn't need anything else. Moving back to collectible guns like British doubles the market is admitingly slow. When it will pick back up is anyones guess.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A Texas friend and purveyor of fine firearms recently told me he'd do about anything to keep from acquiring another British boxlock in his stock. He says he can't sell them right now. I suggested he drop about $2K off of one I kinda liked. He said things weren't quite that bad yet. I'm gonna check back in 3-4 months.

Sidelock
Sidelock

[quote=Gun sales are slow right now. Everyone who wanted to buy something(mostly black rifles) after the Kenyan stole the election has done so and doesn't need anything else. Moving back to collectible guns like British doubles the market is admitingly slow. When it will pick back up is anyones guess.
Jim [/quote]
I agree. My local gun store has witnessed a dramatic drop in gun sales but the demand for ammunition is still way up. Especially in 7.62x39 and .223 ammo. Shotgun shells are still at a reasonable price whereas rifle/pistol ammo in anything other than the above mentioned are very high.

Last edited by J.R.B.; 06/01/11 10:17 PM.

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

First I have found many of the clerks in the Gunrooms to be about a five watt bulb level of illuminations on gun matters not about black guns or imported semi-autos. This time of year is more fishing than hunting at Cabelas. Call it the off season for used doubles.

Now when you want to talk about money and the economy that is another issue. In my area the recovery is very shallow and very weak. We are making the same amount of stuff just seven million less people are getting paid to do it.

I would like to point out that the employments best decrease in a month was the month the Government changes how they defined the unemployed. Those who have been out of work and were not actively looking for work but who were still getting unemployment checks were declared not really unemployed. That allowed the government to stop counting them as unemployed but they did still send them their unemployment checks for not being really unemployed. Kind of like the old Monty Python scene where the person was not entirely dead but was mostly dead.

I know that banks have more homes than they ever dreamed of having in their worst nightmare. Soon Banks will be spending real money on upkeep of repos that they can not sell. My bank is trying to get tax assessments reduced because they are having to pay real estate taxes on homes they can not sell. This glut is a major problem. This is depressing other home sale values in my area by about 25-30%. Then if the market does recover they will have another round of foreclosures to work through. My bank has stopped foreclosing in all but extreme cases. Until home values return and the glut of used homes sells this economy will never recover. Welcome to change.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
I know that banks have more homes than they ever dreamed of having in their worst nightmare. Soon Banks will be spending real money on upkeep of repos that they can not sell. My bank is trying to get tax assessments reduced because they are having to pay real estate taxes on homes they can not sell. This glut is a major problem. This is depressing other home sale values in my area by about 25-30%. Then if the market does recover they will have another round of foreclosures to work through. My bank has stopped foreclosing in all but extreme cases. Until home values return and the glut of used homes sells this economy will never recover. Welcome to change.

We got a chicken and egg problem here.

Home values won't return and the glut of used homes will not sell until there are people out there with money to buy them and banks willing to loan them money to buy them. Right now, we've got neither. The people who might buy them can't because they don't have jobs or the jobs they do have don't pay nearly enough. The banks won't loan for any number of reasons.

The problem is exacerbated by Treasury. They do not want to recognize that a lot of fraud - on all sides - went into making this bubble. They are perfectly willing to go after individual borrowers who might have fudged their loan app or something, but are just as desperate to avoid going after their buddies in the banks (and mortgage originators and title shops and everywhere else in the financial industry) because they want to be able to get jobs in those banks after government service and because those bankers make campaign contributions. The banks - which are insolvent and should have been allowed to fail (or even been pushed, like Lehman and Bear) - took the money they should have used to loan, and lined their own pockets. It's all high times now if you're a banker. They're making money hand over fist.

But, when McDonalds announced they'd be hiring 50,000 people last month, at f'g minimum wage, they got over 1,000,000 applications. They wound up hiring about 60,000 people. In other words, for every job flipping burgers, there were 16 applicants.

We should be getting a WPA - the roads in Maine are beat to hell - but instead we get a whizzing contest about how we have to cut Medicare and let old folks die so we don't have to borrow any money.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll leave it to you economists to argue about the causes and the fixes of the US financial woes but can you relate it to Brit box locks vs say, double rifles, Farquharson rifles, Colts, Winchesters, rook rifles, or side locks, etc.? My friend the dealer was not subtle at all when he was talking about not taking any box locks in trade for the foreseeable future.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.