March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Ken Nelson, Lloyd3, Jimmy W, Marc Ret, 2 invisible), 327 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,995
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

I hunt a military base that requires a hunter safety certificate no matter what your age is.

I think the decline in hunter interest by our youth is because most are first exposed to big game hunting such as deer or turkey from a stand/blind and truthfully both are quite boring. Today's parent plops his kid in a deer stand or turkey blind with a da'coy spread and basically gives his kid a deer or turkey...where's the sport or chase that keeps ones interest ?

I've always thought small game hunting should be a required apprenticeship for anyone wanting to big game hunt.

I started squirrel/rabbit hunting before I was 10 and now I'm 56 and have never lost interest in hunting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I respect your viewpoint Ryan, but I don't agree.

Remember the ultralight aircraft craze from the 80's?

The appeal to some was that no flight training or license was required. Seriously.

Industry precautions were not effective and many, many people exercised their right to kill themselves as they saw fit.

All to avoid the inconvenience of paying for a few hours of instruction from a qualified instructor.

Naturally, the Feds stepped in and we now have a whole host of nice regulations where none existed before.

Tell me how we legislate common sense.

Note that kids today get no instruction in safe firearms handling unless they happen to be lucky enough to be born into a situation that promotes it. It's the guys who at "30 something" want to take up shooting or hunting that most need guidance.

I'm for it. You'll be amazed at what you see at the target range after a new guy takes his Benelli out of the box.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: italiansxs
Maybe I'm missing something here. Is there some reason an adult can't take a hunter safety course and therefore qualify to buy a license?
Jim

Not in my state. In ND I was grandfathered in because I was born before 1960 but I took the course anyway because I like to big game hunt (elk) in other states that require it. The class I was in was mostly adults in there for the same reason as me. Hell we were older than the instructor which made him feel a little foolish.

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ryan, we got quite a few adults in our courses. Some who were already hunters, but needed th course to qualify for a nonres license in some other states. Some single moms with their kids. Some dads who were grandfathered like JRB but took the class with their kids anyhow.

No denying what's happened to the accident rate since the courses have been required. Hunting is somewhat unique as a hobby, in that there's a fair potential to harm not only yourself but someone else if you aren't safe. The hunter safety requirement also coincided pretty closely with the end of the military draft, which meant far fewer Americans were subjected to firearms training and gun safety in the military.

Lots of reasons for a decline in interest in hunting (although overall numbers of hunters are hanging fairly stable, at around 15 million): Far fewer rural families, where guns are often part of growing up. Far more competing activities. And a far greater degree of PC-ness (which does not like hunting) in the general population. But programs like BOW (Becoming an Outdoors Woman) and various mentoring efforts through the conservation groups like PF, DU, RGS, Izaak Walton League are all helping. And the Scholastic Clay Target Program likely has more school-age kids shooting shotguns competitively than we've ever seen. Both clubs where I shot in Iowa were the "home fields" for several squads each, both high school and college.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've been a shooter for a long time, but never a hunter.
finally a friend said "let's go hunt birds at this preserve" (no license needed)

OH my, that as awesome.

so, the wife and I signed up for hunter safety. 2 days? are you kidding me? and we were by far the oldest 12 year olds in the class.

the class was GREAT. I learned a ton, things I never knew or even thought about. (the shooting part was dumb, but whatever, just do it their way for one weekend).

the problem isn't the class. The problem is that people don't know what to do. And without someone to show them the first time. (usually done by family when young, unless no dad, anti-parents,whatever). If you know someone, offer to take them. (works for both hunting and shooting).

People need a guide the first time. Let people share in your joy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I didn't mind taking the class and I certainly wasn't offended by doing it. In fact it was kind of fun going back to my old high school although I left my spitball shooter and rubber band slingshot at home. wink

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I volunteered teaching at gun safety classes for many years, Larry. The classes were mostly full of kids going duck or deer hunting. I took the class myself (at my local elementary school, horror of horrors) in about 1972.
The thing it taught me was that my father had already done a hell of a job instructing me, and, most of the other kids folks, hadn't. The state wasn't going to do the job my father had done, but, for all those other kids, it was way better than nothing.
I've had my share of nervous mothers and fathers show up at the required shooting sessions, and the great majority have been won over. I couldn't take every kid hunting, but, plenty have stomped through my covers, using one of my loaners, and I have been enriched for the effort.
I had one, honest-to-goodness, psychopathic mother show up during a class when her ex-husband tried to get the kid through the course on the sly. Never saw the kid, or, thankfully, her, again. Hope he isn't in a jail cell somewhere.
A local radio personality describes what we are dealing with as "The Mystery", the all out effort to dismantle the America, and it's pastimes and recreation, we knew and enjoyed as kids.
With the possible exception of deer and turkey hunting, this effort has been frighteningly successful, I'm afraid.
I see fewer people hunting, a bad thing, that isn't all bad. The pooch and I have the woods to ourselves, mostly.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

We are already way off track from English box locks so I will leave it alone after this.

Unfortunately we have a licensing system which discourages new hunters. If Dad didnt sign Junior up for hunters safety in middle school Junior will likely never hunt. The rub is only a hunter knows to sign his kid up. This is not at all good.

Hunting is doomed when it becomes and exclusively inherited custom where new hunters only come from old hunters. Attrition naturally pulls many away from hunting (which is fine). Some outside replacements are called for. Conservation and shooting programs are all well and good but this is working at the fringes. I would prefer we cast a wider net.

Our licensing system discourages replacement hunters because they might have an accident. Unintended consequences of a safety obsessed culture. It wont get better.

This has depressed me. I need a drink or something.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll have one with you.

To good shooting, and safe hunting.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

No, our licensing system discourages replacement of the hunter pop because of ridiculous license and stamp fees. It's better to be embarrassed by being told to keep your muzzle, trigger, and your two big left feet in control than live with an AD death or incapacitation. The NRA hunter safety courses and the old American Rifleman magazine were about the best things about the NRA before the currect crop of scenery chewers got hold of it.

jack

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.