March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gunning Bird, L. Brown), 864 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
I'm dropping dozens to flinches and hundreds to gaps in my technique and skill and mental abilities.
For now, I think light loads and full chokes are helping me work on my weakest areas

One ounce loads are mandated for FITASC...King George just broke 197/200 at the Worlds, so they're certainly sufficient for mere mortals shooting sporting clays. And 7/8 ounce loads (of appropriate speed) represent a clear, and perhaps useful, reduction in recoil. Beyond that, I believe there is no demonstrable justification for a lesser payload in sporting clays competition. But, to each his own.

However, it seems counterintuitive that a full choke would be helpful in overcoming "hundreds" of lost targets due to gaps in technique and skill.

Sidelock
Sidelock

when it comes to 12bri would not go below 7/8oz even in 2" shell case. what is the point of shooting old 20ga charge from 12ga? crazy

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: EverD
Stan - I read that article and it confirmed my belief that for me, for now, light loads are better for competition. The target setters around here rarely have an edge-on target at 40 yards, preferring to get you with change ups in target speeds, odd transitions, and weird flight paths. At most 10% of targets are as hard to break as unmoving, edge-on at 40. So if I shoot 20 tournaments, 2000 targets, 200 are in this category. Roster says I might drop 1-3% of these when I'm on them (I'd be using full choke and 7/8 of 71/2's on these presentations). If I'm shooting better than usual I'll be on 75% of the 200 long shots, so using 2% 'load failures', I'm losing 3 hits per season. Meanwhile I'm dropping dozens to flinches and hundreds to gaps in my technique and skill and mental abilities.
For now, I think light loads and full chokes are helping me work on my weakest areas.

EverD, sounds like that is working great for you, and that is what matters. So much of competition is believing in what you are using, and having no doubts that it will absolutely do the job. If it's working for you, there's no need for you to change. I see a good many targets in the 60 yd. and over range at the shoots I go to, and many are edge on at the time they must be shot. I'm pretty serious about every target, having been on both sides of the results of coming up one bird short or ahead of the class leader. Have won my class several times at bigger shoots by one bird, sometimes a shoot-off.

What I don't understand, tho', about Digweed and his loads is, if he is so convinced that 1 oz. loads are all he needs, why doesn't he shoot them in sporting competition? He has to shoot the mandated FITASC loads, but when he has a choice, in sporting competition, he uses 1 1/8 oz. Or at least he did when I watched him shoot the Triple Classic here in Jawja. I picked up some of his empty hulls to check his loads. Still have one of them.

Last edited by Stan; 08/13/10 01:23 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe George thinks he'll hedge his bet with the 1 1/8 oz. loads and try to get that one extra bird out of 200 that might put him in HOA, instead of tied with someone for a shoot-off.

Come to think of it that sounds a lot like my reasoning for using them, too, huh? Guess I'm in pretty fair company, anyway.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
DGM Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I shot some more of those RST 3/4 oz 12 gauge loads at the Hausman's Great Northeast SXS shoot this weekend.

I shot the main event with some hot 1 oz loads through a Browning BSS, then reshot it for fun with a lighweight English sidelock and 3/4 oz RSTs. Broke 10 more targets out of 80 the second time.

Also shot with the two man flurry with a pair of 6.5 lb 12 gauge English sidelocks. Both of us shot 3/4 oz RST Falcons and turned in a score of 40 out of 50.

I keep thinking I need to shoot heavier guns and heavier loads, but those results seem pretty clear to me. Why not shoot the lighter load if it's more pleasant - and I get better results?

"When you have to shoot, Shoot! Don't talk." - Tuco

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: DGM
Also shot with the two man flurry with a pair of 6.5 lb 12 gauge English sidelocks. Both of us shot 3/4 oz RST Falcons and turned in a score of 40 out of 50.

Didya win?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Why not just shoot a smaller gauge gun? There would be no problem with the reloads and it would be easy to find factory loads.
Pete

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.