March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 298 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Wow guys, I've never learned so much on a single thread, THANKS!

I appreciate your effort, and kind words.

I had a heck of a time accessing the 1910 catalogue, but did succede, and I agree the 6RE-E does seem the closest model at that time. It would be fantastic to find the info in a correct year catalogue.

I do have more questions now:

- did all higher grade guns use the Anson push-rod forend release instead of the framilair Ideal lever?

- do these guns show up in original leather case often (this one did)?

- Is there a grade or designation (E - Excelsior??) which correlates with the absence of through hole for lug in bottom of receiver?

Thanks again!

Mark

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can only add my congratulations and best wishes for many satisfying years of stewardship of such an example of exquisite, functional art. What does it weigh? For me, it would be perfection indeed if it were a 16.

Regards,
Mike

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Mark Dube
I do have more questions now:

- did all higher grade guns use the Anson push-rod forend release instead of the framilair Ideal lever?

- do these guns show up in original leather case often (this one did)?

- Is there a grade or designation (E - Excelsior??) which correlates with the absence of through hole for lug in bottom of receiver?

Mark

Mark it is my belief that use of the Anson push-rod forend was limited to the Ideal Ejector guns, that has been my observation. We have some very knowledgable folks on this thread perhaps they can confirm or debunk my opinion.

They generally came in a rather plain Leg of Mutton Case - it is nice you have the case - could we see some photos of it ?

I have examined one lower Grade Ideal that did not have the exposed barrel lug in the bottom of the receiver. So I don't believe this feature was restricted to high grade guns.

There are me varations in the features of Ideals.

Now LeFusil, JayCee, and Wildcattle know about 10 times as much about them as I do, so take my opinions above with a grain of salt.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Geno.
Sidelock
Sidelock

As Poastoak says, push-rod forend is limited to ejector guns, as far as I know.

My lowly 16 bore Idéal does not have an exposed barrel lug and is definitely not an Excelsior:

Geno, thanks for the photos.

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

My old Ideal 12 Gauge No6R

Last edited by postoak; 06/19/11 10:09 PM.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Postoak,

I can only see a frog in an ice cube (?)

JC

Sidelock
Sidelock

JC, I don't think the French really appreciate being referred to as frogs laugh
LOL!
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Oops!

Good one Rockdoc! smile

JC

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks again guys!

Roy, it shoots great, dimensions near perfect for me, the hardened old recoil pad is slippery though, it will work better for me when that is replaced.

Postoak, it makes perfect sense that the Anson "push bitton" forend release be utilized on ejector guns, the lever would be in the same place as the ejector works.

Geno, JC, postoak, beautiful guns, thanks for sharing.

Here are a few (poor) photos of the case, sorry they are taken with phone not a quality camera.

One of the labels on the exterior is dated 1945 and is for checked luggage on the CNR (Canadian National Railway)and it is direcly on top of 2 or 3 other identical lables.

The other label is name and adress of a gentleman in Calgary Alberta.

Notice how the muzzles fit in the leather cup hinged to the frame of the case.

Mark

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.