March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (SKB, skeettx, LRF, Lawrence Kotchek, Karl Graebner, canvasback), 880 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#2327 09/21/06 10:05 PM
Jimmy W Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

On today's Hunting With Hank, as I mentioned in another post today, this show starts the season-year 2000. Dez Young is using a Beretta. I looked ahead on the shows I had taped and in the show coming up tomorrow entitled "California Pheasants", he uses a Beretta again. (For those of you who get the show on OLN). But when it gets to Chapter Three- he shoots a pheasant and it goes down into the trees. When he reloads, it shows a very clear shot of him loading the gun and you can see very clearly, he takes his left thumb and HOLDS THE LEVER OVER as he closes the gun!!! For those of you who have bragged on how he closes his guns for the past few weeks, I hope you aren't going to change your stories and say now he does it wrong. WAY TO GO DEZ !!! YOU DA MAN!!!! Now this is the way to close a shotgun, guys. Take notice please.

Sidelock
Sidelock

you mean you don't just flip it closed with one hand?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just close the friggin` thing.
don`t slam it,use just enuf force to ensure proper lockup.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yoby is right. You don't hold the lever. That's a bunch of BS. Just close it and let the locking mechanism do its job.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Jimmy W Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I like to do it the way Dez does in tomorrow's show. It is a lot easier on them in my opinion. I am gentle with my guns when it comes to "metal against metal." I'll have to ask him if Beretta pointed this out to him the way they did to me a few years ago.

Sidelock
Sidelock

maybe if you cut those barrels to 20" they would flip shut easier.

Dig Offline

Hold the lever while you close the gun?!

What on earth for?

The reason that snap-actions took over from inert actions in the 1870s is because they were easier and faster to operate - because you did not have to mess around with the lever when closing it.

If you like manually operating a lever, you'd like my Jones underlever-operated Thompson and my Adams inert push-forward underlever by Robert Adams. These require manipulation of the lever on closing because they lack a spring to return it for you.

Still, if it makes you happy it's OK. Some people put plastic covers on leather car seats.No need for it but up to them I guess.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would take the view that holding a top lever whilst closing the gun will accelerate wear - not delay it.

Reason being if the top lever is not allowed to snap back shut, then the gun may not have locked properly, and tiny amounts of movement may take place when the gun is fired thus causing accelerated wear.

If the lever is not allowed to snap back into place, how can it be seated properly - it can't, the spring and "wedge shape" of the bolt(or conical if a Beretta) bearing down on the lumps is there for a purpose to ensure a solid "tapered" lock up. Holding and allowing the top lever to just go back into place prevents this preocess happening.

Each to their own, you make your choice, I know what mine would be.

Jonty

Sidelock
Sidelock

At the gun club the other day we were talking about guns and TV.
Fellow told of a friend years ago that used to watch Matt Dillion...seems this fellow watched it religiously.
He liked to put his cowbOy rig on and quick drawed with Matt at the begining of the show.
He finally out drew him one small problem the day he did his gun was loaded.....bOOm.

That's what tOO much TV can do to you Jimmy.

One day you are going to be watching Hank sitting around sip'n on a cold one just open'n and ease'n the Berreta.....bOOm.

I guess what they're telling you might be okay for a Berretta but not for a fine double.
L.F.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been following the past posts on the right way to close your double. It seems that most to all do not let the action snap hard in closing. I have to agree somewhat that you should let the action close easily, but I agree with Jonty that is has to lock properly. I tried closing a Syracuse Arms double circa 1902 by holding my thumb along side the lever and let it close gently. Well it closed, but it did not let the gun cock. So in my opinion, I will close all my doubles gently and not snap them closed.

David

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.