May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (MattH, R Reynolds, 67galaxie, Lloyd3, 1 invisible), 840 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,494
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

All this about how to close a gun??? Wow!

Jimmy W Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yea, we go through this all the time. And I get a kick out of it. Everytime they tell me someone closes his gun properly and I should do as they say and I'm (how was that?) retarded if I don't. Then I show them the guy they're talking about closes the gun just as I do and then, uh-oh, well, they're an idiot too. Jim keeps telling me "HE'S SHOWN ME" what something says in a book. Funny, how does he do that over the internet? I haven't ever seen anything from him in any book. I have Beretta books too. They don't say that. Jim bragged on Dez Young for weeks and come to find out- I close my guns the same way Dez does. Uh-oh, all of a sudden he's wrong. He's a retard. HA-HA. Once again, I merely tell and show people (with proof of course) what knowledgeable people say and that's my opinion and my choice on how to close my guns. I have been hunting and shooting for 40 years and shoot many thousands of rounds a year and have never had a gun break other than a bead (2)breaking off while shooting. I must be doing something right the way I take care of a gun. Why is that? Because I do what the proper people say to do? Hmmmm......

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll be glad when you finally learn to close one...so we can close this non-sense post.
L.F.

Yep, something has been retarded here for sure.
-------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."
hap Offline

I can't stand it any more- I just have to jump in with both feet (possibly in mouth!) This thread is always hilarious! I love to see you guys getting so excited!

When I look at someone's double, without intent to shoot, I treat it very gently, and usually try to close holding the lever... except on those guns that have the lever that centers itself after opening. This is to show respect for someone's property.

When shooting, I close my gun(s) firmly without holding the lever- this is how I was taught, many moons ago, by my father, Right or wrong, this is how I do it. And, when shooting someone else's double, I also just close it firmly- whether out of habit (forgetfulness) or what I can't exactly say...

Now, when I operate a trombone shotgun, I almost do the same thing. When examining someone's, or cleaning mine, etc., I operate the action slowly-when I am shooting, I must admit I SLAM that slide-action around- I believe this is how the gun was designed to operate. See what kind of jams one gets when operating pumps gently (yes, I realise this is apples and oranges).

Here's another thought- when shooting dangerous game, or even driven birds, how gently does oneself or one's gun bearer shut that (matched pair?) double?

Another unsolicited opinion,
Hap

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Originally posted by hap:
I can't stand it any more- I just have to jump in with both feet (possibly in mouth!) This thread is always hilarious! I love to see you guys getting so excited!
Me too Hap. As I was reading the thread about Russ, I recalled how he didn't register for awhile after the BBS became civil. You guys remember the days this BBS was like Dodge City, with shots fired back and forth? Now that was funny.

I saw the episode when Dez closed the gun gently, but you forgot to mention he also sang a lullaby while doing it. Now THAT'S gentle!

Sidelock
Sidelock

The top lever has very little to do with it.

The top lever is there to OPEN a closed action.

The locking mechanism below the top lever is there to lock an action when it is closed.

Actually, those who know how to close a doublegun properly hold the barrels firmly, say stationary, in one hand and with the other hand holding the wrist of the stock, bring the stock up smoothly until the action snaps closed, and know why.

Sidelock
Sidelock

...so the grouse can get away, and he can tend to the burs on the dog when he gets home, instead of cooking?
Maybe I'll stick to my Darne, nobody will tell me how or how not to close that one!
Best,
Ted

Boxlock
Boxlock

Man...As a newcomer to this site, I'm surprised just how touchy folks are about this issue!

To paraphrase the immortal words of Rodney King: "Can't we all just close our guns the way we want?!"

Sidelock
Sidelock

Click on this link Jimmy: http://media.browning.com/pdf/om/superposedmanual.pdf
Look at page 9. You first have to go there and you then have to read it. This is what I have "shown" you before. You likely didn't read it. You're mind's made up and you don't want to learn anything. But you did have the opportunity. I'm done with your stupid rehashing of this topic. I might be talking to an idiot but you're not. JL

> Jim Legg <

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.