May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Lloyd3, Ted Schefelbein, ksauers1, WJW), 238 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,495
Posts545,347
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14
Sidelock
Sidelock

The true story here is that the promoters of the Douglasville event have done their best to destroy the vintage gun shooting and trading market in this country. Recent posts have made it clear that the Vintagers will be a bust and the Douglasville event will be a bust. For a change, we won't be able to blame Ray Poudriet and the Vintage Cup for a "Bad Time". I have had a good time at the Vintage Cup for many years, and I expect to this year. The promoters of the Douglasville event should be apologetic for their bad decision. We all hope that this is not a fatal situation for the vintage gun world.

DGM Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
We all hope that this is not a fatal situation for the vintage gun world.

While this certainly looks very bad for the Vintage Cup, which has been eroding for a number of years now, I see the trend for the rest of the vintage gun world looking pretty positive (especially considering the economy.) In the past year, I've been to the Spring & Fall Southern SXS and the Great Northeast at Hausman's, and they have all been growing pretty impressively. In terms of vendors, all three of those are now bigger than the Vintage Cup. The Orvis Cup at Sandonna, though not strictly a SXS shoot, has been growing into a very nice shoot with great vendors as well. If EPIC did not have problems with the date and lead shot ban, it could have been a great new addition. Hopefully, they will learn from this and fix it going forward. As for the Vintage Cup, I think some fresh leadership could turn things around as well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Daryl's post after this one corrects my incorrect statement about the Fall Southern Side by Side. It is advertised on the Deep River site as Daryl points out to us.

Last edited by eightbore; 09/01/11 04:27 PM.
DGM Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
It looks like the Fall Southern is not being held this year. I can see no mention of it on Bill's or Rick's website.

It's on Bill's website:

Southern Side by Side Championship & Exhibition Fall Classic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deep River Sporting Clays and Shooting School and Back Woods Quail Club have partnered to offer the Southern Side by Side Championship & Exhibition Fall Classic October 21-23, 2011. This is the fourth year the Fall Classic will be held at the beautiful Back Woods Quail Club in Georgetown, SC.

The Fall Classic will feature championship courses with a shooting schedule that includes Compak Sporting as well as traditional Sporting Clays. Experts from the United States and Europe will be available for gunfittings and gun appraisals and the exhibition will include the finest side by side guns as well as clothing and accessories.

The Fall Classic is the home of the American Classics Team Challenge. In this competition, shooters are classified according to the American manufacturer of the gun(s) they shoot. The highest five shooters from each gun manufacturer will comprise a team and the highest team score wins the challenge. Last year’s winner was the Parker team and the year before the win went to the L.C. Smith team. Also participating were teams with Winchester, Fox and RBL manufactured side by sides.

Because Back Woods Quail Club is also a hunting preserve, additional activities are available. A Side by Side Continental Pheasant Tower Shoot will be held in the morning on Friday, October 21. Only 22 guests can be accommodated for this shoot, so advanced registration is recommended. Quail hunting and morning or afternoon deer hunts will also be available during the week of the Southern Side by Side Championship & Exhibition Fall Classic.

The 2011 Fall Classic comes on the heels of a very successful 12th Annual Southern Side by Side Championship & Exhibition Spring Classic held in April at Deep River Sporting Clays and Shooting School.

“The Fall Classic is in response to customer requests for another opportunity to celebrate the side by side shotgun here in the south with exhibitors and competitions,” said Bill Kempffer of Deep River

“We have had many requests in the many years of the April Southern Side by Side, but could not accommodate a second large event on the Deep River grounds,” Bill said. “Rick Hemingway’s (owner of Back Woods Quail Club) offer to partner with us, using his remarkable grounds, and his talents setting the targets and running the competitions for a fall shoot overcomes all the problems.”

Back Woods Quail Club is located just off SC 51 south at the intersection of SC 24 and SC 41/51, not far from Myrtle Beach or Charleston.

http://deepriver.net/SouthernSidebySide/...98/Default.aspx

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tuco- aka- Eli Wallach sure knows how to 'clean a gun"- great scene, he drills a one armed desperado while ol Clinty-boy pets a pussy in a spaghetti western- "The Good, The bad and the Ugly"-- Didn't realize the Sergio Leone was such an animal lover though. Guess I'll have to take one of my SSA .45 Colts loaded into the hot tub out on my deck some evening and hope a visiting raccoon decides to "tip-toe thru my tulips" Ka-Blam!!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am very much looking forward to the Fall Classic at Rick's. I enjoyed it immensely last year. The shooting, food, gun browsing (and buying) and company was top notch.

I hope to meet some more of the DG enthusiasts from this board there, and shoot with you! I'll be competing in as many of the events as I can squeeze in on Saturday and Sunday.

No problems with lead at Backwoods. Ya'll come on down.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Fall Southern in South Carolina is a wonderful venue, a wonderful shoot, and a great time of year to be in Coastal South Carolina.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you want to shoot rifles, the Vintage Cup is about as good as it gets! Stopping, Stalking, Single shots [Alex. Henry Cup],
Drillings, and Cape guns. 3 days of it. with good targets. The charging buffalo is tough! See you there!

All the best'

Mal

DGM Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jeff L.
While I cannot attest to the accuracy of the following, they came to me in an email entitled "Going down in flames". You may find them funny/interesting:

Number of pre-sold tickets to Epic Game Fair: 27

Number of "walk ups" they are saying will attend magically: 30,000

Additionally--
There is a large black tie Epic Game Fair dinner.
Price for a table: $4,000
Number of tables sold: 12
Number of tables needed to be sold to break even: 55

Haven't heard any official ticket numbers. But if you go to http://epicgamefairblog.org/. You will be invited to "Join 22 other followers" who have signed up for the email list. There has only been one blog post since July. They have 104 followers on Twitter. Looks like mostly vendors and sponsor related.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Even though I think they are bad for our game, I wish the EPIC people well in their efforts. However, I have to ask, "What are the chances that the event will be cancelled at the last minute?"

Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.