March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (FlyChamps, Argo44, SKB, Little Creek, 2 invisible), 790 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,010
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I guess Teddy bOy' will finally get his check.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Curl, that's a magnificent Woodwardddddd! DDang, I think my ddddd key is drooled up again...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve, thank you very much. It strikes me the same way.

Curl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Curl - that is a very nice rifle and a very nice piece of research. I find that research such as yours helps greatly in understanding such guns. Mine shoot clays and go afield as appropriate.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rocketman, thanks for your comments.

Curl

Looks like the Boss is again available, at a small premium ($7000) at Vintage Doubles.
Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe you're right unless there are two of them with the same serial numbers. I guess every bodies got to make a living...but a killing ?

I guess Mr.Chaplin didn't realize what he had.

http://www.champlinarms.com/Default.aspx...0&GunID=745

Nice mark up.

http://www.vintagedoubles.com/inventory.php?sort=1&process=fullview&gunID=595

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well the market will settle the real value for that gun. Asking and getting are two different things but you never know. I looked at the gun and came away feeling it was one more tired old gun which had been sleeved and refinshed too make it look like a cherry. Fancy wood raises my interest but not by that much. Still it only takes one buyer and if he is willing to wait a few years he might get the price. Others on the net seem willing to wait years to move inventory so why not one more? It will be nice eye candy to look at for the next few years, like a mid grade Lefever which has been for sale for six years by one seller. Almost a fair price now.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Reading old threads,I came across this old post. Having sold a number of vintage U.S. military rifles I was a bit flush and saw this nice old Boss on Kirby's site. I phoned and inquired about the gun and ended up purchasing it. (it was less than the number quoted in the post). Upon receipt I checked it over and shot it with RST factory loads. I decided to keep it and a little later took it to my gunsmith to have the wood redone as the wood was very dark with oil and grime. Almost a ounce and a half of oil was extracted from the butt and forend. ( we were both surprised at that amount collected in a glass jar.) Fresh oil finish was applied and the stock head was skim bedded with agraglass to insure full contact with the action and a gentle cleaning of the metal brought out the beautiful engraving and the leather covered pad look's like new. The sleeved barrels are nicely done and the overall appearance of the gun is stunning. I shoot it well and enjoy owning a fine gun with new steel barrels suitable for nice shot or bismuth non toxic loads. Many inquires "would you sell it?" or "is it for sale?" A polite no is always my response. I'll be passing this one on to my Nephew. My first thumb lever opener and I have missed a few birds lost in looking at the intricate engraving on the action and top strap. Boss did not make very many of these back action hammer guns using the Purdey 2'nd patent thumb levers and only a very few in 16. Spoke with Kirby a short time later about another hammer gun and he remarked that over 20 calls came in just after I made the purchase. I am very pleased with this gun. I guess one man's treasure is another man's -----.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am curious how do you tell the difference in the first generation Purdy thumb lever and the second generation ???

I love my sleeved thumb lever Purdey rabbit gun!!! Snaps shut tight.

monty
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.