May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (FelixD, DSchrank, Licensed to kill, ClapperZapper, azgreg, 2 invisible), 393 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,523
Posts545,793
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Rockdoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I realize that this is a bit OT, but I have a few questions regarding my great granddads 1863 Springfield musket. Im thinking of taking it out hunting for deer or feral pigs during black powder season this fall and need to know:
What is the proper BP load, or better yet the load range from light to heavy?
The rear sight has three leafs, what range does each leaf represent?
Even though I have some round balls for it, Im planning on getting some bullet shaped projectiles (mini-balls?) for it. I fired it once back in 1978, point blank at my Spanish textbook, and blew a hole clean through it. At the time I was told to put the ball in my palm and then cover it with BP and that would be a good load. It worked, but in retrospect Im glad I didnt blow up the gun.
I moved recently and misplaced my Dixie Gunworks Catalogue (which probably has the load information I need). Anyhow, sorry for the OT but thanks for any help that anyone here can give.

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Standard load is about 60 grains 2f and a standard civil war Minie slug would be my choice. The rifling twist is a bit too fast for a roundball.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well before hunting season I would suggest you do some testing starting with the load recommended above. Minie's IMO are the way to go and you can vary the powder charge until you're right on at 100 yds. with one of the sight settings.
At that point you should be good to go for a primative weapons hunt. Good Luck!
BTW: Did you pass your Spanish class?
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe the sights are 100,300,500 yards. It should be marked. 60 grains was the government issued load. 505 grain minie ball. A very lethal weapon!

Sidelock
Sidelock

An excellent use for a Spanish textbook.

In college, a couple classmates and I had a ceremonial book-burning after completing a really vile required course. It was fun.

A guy I knew in the Army has his ancestor's musket, which came home with the ancestor after he was wounded at Vicksburg and stayed in the family ever after. Pretty cool, when you think about it.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Rockdoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for helping me out with my questions. I used to have an original unfired minie ball, but when we were studying the Civil War I took it to school and lost it (lucky I didn't have the musket then or it probably would've disappeared too). It was sure one big hunk of lead!
As for the Spanish book, math and languages were always my nemesis in college. I passed the Spanish course barely, but the language department decided to use a new textbook so I wasn't able to sell it the next semester. Needless to say I was pissed!
Steve

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a RCBS 577 Minie ball mould with the hollow base plug for my 3 band Snider. Is that the same bullet as for the Springfield rifle-musket? I also had a repro Parker Hale Musketoon 1863, but that was a brutal pig to shoot with the 577 minie bullets. I was going to have the barrel sleeved to 450, but someone coveted it so I sold it.
I had a Parker Hale 2 band 577 Enfield replica, I should have kept that one, 5 groove rifling and alol. How many grooves did the 58 Springfield have?
Mike

Rockdoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I gave the Springfield some much needed servicing including removing the percussion nipple, breach plug and cleaning the barrel. I'm happy to say the barrel is in good shape with no serious pitting.
Walt, I believe you're correct about the rear sights, the longest leaf has a tiny 5 stamped in the corner (nothing visible on the other two but there is some corrosion...).
Mike, as best as I could tell the barrel has 3 wide shallow rifling grooves.
Apparently my great grandad was a pretty decent shot, there are 3 notches carved into the stock right in front of the trigger guard. He enlisted at the age of 16.
Steve

Last edited by Rockdoc; 08/03/11 09:14 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Truly wonderful to have such a legacy. So was he a damned yankee or a a southern patriot? If you don't already have it, be sure and research his record.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Took mine from its place of honor. Leaves are marked 3 and 5. I have not shot mine for many years but these are accurate weapons with fair accuracy at these distances. We could hit a 2 gallon oil can most ot the time from close to 500 yards.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.