May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Birdog, Ted Schefelbein, bsteele, Jtplumb), 801 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,496
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Browning Owner's manual( for BSS, Citori and Superosed) says this:
"Upon closing your gun, let the top lever snap into position-do not retard its action with your thumb.
If closed in this manner, the top lever spring will return the top lever mechanism to locked position. It is not necessary that the top lever return to a completely central position; in fact, it usually will not do so in a new gun". This is what Browning says. If someone representing Browning says otherwise, they're idiots. If you can't understand what the above says, you need some remedial reading training. JL

And from the Winchester Supreme manual:
Upon closing your gun, let the top lever snap into position-do not retard its action with your thumb.
If closed in this manner, the top lever spring will return the top lever mechanism to locked position. It is not necessary that the top lever return to a completely central position; in fact, it usually will not do so in a new gun.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

It seems rather obvious to me the "Real Reason" for the mechanism of the car door is so one "Does Not Have to Hold the Button" in order to close it. Can you imagine trying to shut the door with two armloads of groceries if you had to hold the button in, in order for it to latch?? As previously mentioned the advise I have always read from "British Authorities" is to hold the bbls in left hand & lift stock with right hand, neither thumb can thus even reach the lever.
Miller

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Michael McIntosh was quite proud of closing his double by holding it, muzzle down and raising the butt with the other hand, as 2-piper said. This is seen on the very nice tape of M.Mc. shooting with the late Jack Mitchell. Odd that he would then write that retarding the lever was "the correct way". As to what Dez Young did in one scene, on one show, is hardly his regular habit. The only reason I suggested watching how Dez duz it, at all, is because there are some who refuse to, or can't read and might be able to understand it better if it's on TV. Be sure to click the off button before the "singing" starts. JL

> Jim Legg <

Jimmy W Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

We have already discussed all of this, Jim. Holding the lever over is not "retarding" the lever. It is in fact helping it. Besides, I worked with engineers and repairmen for 30 years. I would much rather take the repairman's word as to why he had to repair something than the engineer's who tries to tell you why it SHOULD work in his books..... Who makes the most dependable guns of all time? Probably Smith and Wesson. Go to your gun safes and take one out. Open it up. Watch the release button. Did you notice that when you push it forward, it stays forward? Why is that? Figure it out. Why do most people who open a Colt revolver pull the release button back and help the movement. For those of you who have Rugers and you pull the pin out to remove the cylinder, when you put it back together do you just shove the pin through? Or do you push the button in and help the movement? It works either way. But some people know which is easier on a gun. If you only shoot a gun a few boxes a year, closing them up probably won't do much damage. But if you shoot several rounds a year and you close it up without the lever, someone will be repairing it much sooner. I just like being more gentle with a gun because I know the metal is brittle and/or it will last longer if you are more gentle with them. But, to each his own. From now on if someone comes on here and asks which is the best way, I'll let you guys say what you want. But my guns will go longer (in secrecy) without repair. You can bet on that.

Jimmy W Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

HomelessjOe....DRINKS ARE ON ME!!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

As mentioned above, the 680 series Beretta guns have conical pins that engage holes in the barrel bolsters. As the gun is opened and closed over time the round holes become edge worn and begin to assume an oval shape. The bolsters are actually replaceable on the competition quality guns, but not on the lighter sporting models. I shot a tubed 682 in competion for a couple years and the condition of the breech face and those holes was thought to give a pretty good indication on how heavily a gun had been used. Although I never bothered with it, in the case of a Beretta O/U, there might be something to be said for closing the gun and then releasing the top latch.

A Springer Spaniel, a 6# double and a fair day to hunt.
Sidelock
Sidelock

So what is the proper way to close a pump, cause after reading this thread, I think I'll go back to pump guns for a while :rolleyes:

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm gertting out my Autoamtic an shOot my dang foot off.

Jimmy W Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

postoak, when you close the gun, made sure you don't grab it by the forearm and then jerk it in a downward motion causing the gun to drop downward and slam shut. This is a no-no, too.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I plan to use the English method, holding the Forearm steady in place and drawing the Butt rearward and then forward.

Should I hold the slide release, and gently release it after the bolt locks, to reduce wear?

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.