May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (FlyChamps, SKB, cpa, LGF, Der Ami, 1 invisible), 413 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,433
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Boxlock
Boxlock

Model 37...

And a close up of a dog on one of my Model 37's...

Last edited by Joe S; 12/13/11 01:35 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My apoligies Joe. Yes I thought you were saying that Deeley & Edge didn't design their forend latch until 1910 & I knew that was way off. I can see now how you meant it, I just didn't read it that way.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
PeteM Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here is a top of the line Model 97, first year of production. The gentleman that owns it was kind enough to send his pictures. He resides in Sweden. The most unlikely owner I have heard from was located in Thailand.

I purchased John Mann's model 97 from him a few years ago.

Pete

PeteM Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This Model 97 is another example. The serial number puts it in the 1st year of production, 1905-1906. However, the patent date on the rib suggests it either was made out of sequence or it was sent back and given a new set of barrels. So many questions...

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yep Joe S, that's what my right lockplate looks like too. Thanks for the model i.d. PeteM, or anyone else familiar with the mechanics on the Meriden : Are the firing pins supposed to be free-floating, like those on an LC Smith? I took the locks off, and found out the there was a spring between the tapering of the firing pin, and the breech.

I hope I'm not hi-jacking this thread with a technical question.

thanks, redoftx.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello again Pete M. I think the frame is made erlier as the serie.nr.says but the whole gun is put together about 1908-10 or so.The patent of Fore-Stock Fastener for Firearms as this have is from 1908.
(I think there are same barrels on hammers as hammerless)Pat.date on rib is the safety.

Regards Lennart

Last edited by drever; 12/15/11 03:32 AM.
Sidelock
Online Embarrased
Sidelock

PeteM, What's a top model AJ Aubrey worth?
I came across one that was heavily period engraved, fine Damascus barrels, but the entire gun was covered in a patination of fine rust. He wanted $700.00, which I felt was much too high.
I didn't want the work. And I knew little about them.

Out there doing it best I can.
PeteM Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: drever
Hello again Pete M. I think the frame is made erlier as the serie.nr.says but the whole gun is put together about 1908-10 or so.The patent of Fore-Stock Fastener for Firearms is from 1908.
(I think there are same barrels on hammers as hammerless)

Regards Lennart

You may be correct. I have never tried to interchange the barrels.

Pete

PeteM Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
PeteM, What's a top model AJ Aubrey worth?
I came across one that was heavily period engraved, fine Damascus barrels, but the entire gun was covered in a patination of fine rust. He wanted $700.00, which I felt was much too high.
I didn't want the work. And I knew little about them.

A hammer M97 or a hammerless M58 with some case coloring and in excellent condition will usually go for $1,200 or more. If it a special grade (reported but I have never even seen pictures) or a 20ga (I only know of 2 to exist currently) and the price would double or triple. For the 1st gun made (currently owned by one of the board members here) with deep relief engraving I would guess at least $5,000.

Most of the top graded guns will never come to market. At least that is my impression from countless contacts with owners. So many have been passed down through the family, they never intend to sell.

Pete

PeteM Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: RedofTx
Yep Joe S, that's what my right lockplate looks like too. Thanks for the model i.d. PeteM, or anyone else familiar with the mechanics on the Meriden : Are the firing pins supposed to be free-floating, like those on an LC Smith? I took the locks off, and found out the there was a spring between the tapering of the firing pin, and the breech.

I hope I'm not hi-jacking this thread with a technical question.

thanks, redoftx.

I wish I could give you a straight answer. I am not savvy enough. I believe it is free floating, but will not swear to it.

Pete

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.