May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (DSchrank, 1 invisible), 807 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,497
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

Postoak; Don't know what type of pump you are shooting but on the few I have fooled with you would have to push the butt forward first, then draw it rearward to close. Remember if you hold the forearm steady the gun has to move in reverse to how you would move the forearm.
Miller

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm glad I use a muzzleloader, don't have to close nutin!!!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Will it hurt to trom'bone a pump ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr Miller, I wasn't clear I was speaking of my Butt, not the Butt Stock. I am trying to reduce wear on my grommet.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

You guys are making me paranoid. What's the protocol when examining someone else's gun? Should I ask - "Are you a sneaker or a snapper?" I hope he doesn't hit me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

For someone else's gun, be a sneaker. According to my Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, Retard means "to slow up, esp by hindering advance or accomplishment: impede".
There was also a picture. Guess who? Hint: initials were JW.
JL :p

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

as i pointed out the last time this subject came up and the analogy was drawn with s&w revolvers, that analogy is STUPID and proves the counterpoint and also shows the person drawing that analogy has never really looked at the "bolting" on a s&w revolver. the plunger which serves as the axis around which the cylinder revolves is spring loaded to the REAR and rides against the frame 100% of the time when the cylinder is being swung out and back in and you can push the thumb latch till hell freezes over and that plunger will push against the frame forever, every single time. all the plunger does is disengage that pin from its recess in the frame and likewise disengage the corresponding frame mounted plunger from the fwd end of the ejector rod. for pete's sake, look at the rear inside of the frame; you can plainly see the drag mark on any s&w that's ever had the cylinder swung out more than once.

and no, it ain't necessarily true that everybody who owns colts pulls the thumb latch to the rear to close the cylinder. that's why it has a bevel on it.

and as to accelerating wear, exactly how can allowing a shotguns bolt to close under spring tension accelerate wear? it's the same 2 pieces of metal rubbing together over the same linear distance every single time whether you're holding the lever or not. spring loaded, thumb restrained, that locking bolt travels the same distance and is steel on steel every single time.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm all for getting up a subscription to buy Jimmy an underlever closer. If he keeps the wedge or "screw" well-greased, it won't suffer from all that manual shifting.

The analogy with locksets is a good one but I think the lock most comparable is found on interior and exterior doors. The "ramped" nose on the bolt which allows retracton when it contacts the inital radius of the strike plate is not the surface of the bolt which locks the door against the weather strip or stop. Wear on the ramp (or the upper chisel edge of an underbolt) doesn't really matter all that much as it's the underside of the bolt which locks the barrels down to the water table. The only locking mechanism which superficially resembles Jimmy's retard and sneak is the lever check found on a variety of guns with rotary and cross bolts which cannot be wedged or ramped back by a lead on their mating surface in the rib extension. Also found on Supers and Citoris and I have never understood exactly why? In all cases, self-release of the check rod, pin, or lever allows every one of these bolting designs to snap.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll chip in to buy him a bolt action shotgun ?

Jimmy W Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Guess what, Jim. When I looked up "put my foot in my mouth" in the dictionary, YOUR picture was there. Or should I go back and bring up all the Dez Young posts you made? How was that? "In all the times I have watched Dez Young close his guns......." As I said, I will continue do close my guns the way the manufacturer's reps and gunsmiths have personally showed me. Dez Young, Michael McIntosh, etc.,etc. Sorry, guys, but I refuse to be a gun slammer. Keep on slammin'.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.