April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Tom Shaffer, Argo44, SKB, 1 invisible), 1,058 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,146
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you, Brent. Skim through 'The Alkanet Story' for the pertinent posts. Some useful info there concerning color and there is a formula for the oil finish I used there and in this thread. There was another thread on finishing and alkanet running concurrently with the one above and it had good info as well. Can't get the search to work for me this morning. If you like, give me a call 512 913 5233, might save some time.

Hansli #24155 02/05/07 04:16 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gentlemen,
The Liberon Finishing oil I keep mentioning is exactly that description in the Liberon catalogue.Available in 250,500ml 1L,5L, and 25Litre cans, contains pure Tung oil.
Anyone seeking my opinion (not necessarily correct !!!)I am very happy to help.Please ask via these refinishing threads or PM me.
Hansli, that one photo of your stock is practically identical to a AYA 20 bore I have refinished.
Nice colour isn't it?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes sir. There are 2 more in the alkanet thread. One is in resplendent Texas sunshine revealing more color.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: salopian
Gentlemen,
The Liberon Finishing oil I keep mentioning is exactly that description in the Liberon catalogue.

Anyone seeking my opinion (not necessarily correct !!!)I am very happy to help.Please ask via these refinishing threads or PM me.

Salopian,

Appreciate any info you care to share. Am doing lots of reading before jumping into this (these) project(s).

What is it you prefer about Liberon over Waterlox products? Is the finish waterproof? Is it a Satin finish or more of a shiny finish? Any pictures we can look at?

Hate to be a pest but to do a nice job seems to be pretty labor and time intensive. Hope to do it right the first time. Mike's guns are beautiful, only hope mine come out half as nice.

Thank you.

tim

Dustin says, "Today is a gift, Have Fun."
Sidelock
Sidelock

Liberon is heat and water resistant.
I have not done back to back test comparing Waterlox, but Taunton's magazine Fine Woodworking did do an extensive product comparability test August 2005 edition.Also refer to Steven Russell's Oil Slick articles http://www.arbortech.com

Yes it is labour intensive, but you only get out what you put in.Very important to realise that if your wood as little or no figure you are possibly wasting time trying to enhance it with a fine finish.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dig, Tim,
Forgive my intrusion into your dialogue, but in Dig's earlier post Watco was brought up in comparison to Liberon and now it seems Waterlox is being compared. I poked around the net a bit and it appears they are not the same product nor from the same maker. Can you clarify this discussion for me?

Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chuck H
Dig, Tim,
Forgive my intrusion into your dialogue, but in Dig's earlier post Watco was brought up in comparison to Liberon and now it seems Waterlox is being compared. I poked around the net a bit and it appears they are not the same product nor from the same maker. Can you clarify this discussion for me?

Thanks

Thanks Chuck. I think I am the one who is confused. I did not realize these were two different products - Watco and Waterlox. Appreciate you pointing this out.

tim

Last edited by Tim Wolf; 02/06/07 07:04 PM.

Dustin says, "Today is a gift, Have Fun."
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck may be confused also? Because I am not Dig.Digory is the wealthy one.I am just a poor old craftsman.Not many of us left in the UK.

I just put a coat of Tung Oil on my current stock project last night. This is the second layer. (One layer the night before). I just want to reinforce that it did take about 2 drops for each side of the stock. I never understood how so little could go such a long way, but following the sage advice of others here, I'm learning. Part of the key this time seems to be that the grain was really filled on this stock, whereas in the past I may have thought it was filled well but the amount of Tung Oil needed proved otherwise. Now a drop and I cover half of one side of the stock, and again this was only the second layer... I used multiple coats of Behlen Blood Red prior to the Tung Oil and had filled the grain with stain and wet sanding prior to the Behlen Blood Red applications, which I am not ashamed to say totalled about 12 or 13 (I did lose count)... I am assuming the next layers will require just ONE drop per side of the stock.

This stock refinish project on a rolling block is taking shape to be looking like it came out of 1878 era... It's a stock look I like alot.

http://www.icm.cc
transforming ideas into reality
Sidelock
Sidelock

salopian,
I'm sorry for the mistaken identification. I had somehow come to that conclusion from other threads.

Could you clarify the question of whether Watco or Waterlox was the subject of your experience and references?

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.