May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Parabola, DaveB, montenegrin, Ted Schefelbein, 1 invisible), 798 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,518
Posts545,718
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
Sidelock
Sidelock

That is my shooting student Joe Wood. I am really impressed with Joe as he was already elderly when he started hunting with me. I will never forget the first bird we took. Beau was on point and I kicked the bush and the Bobwhite flushed. I shot it and Joe looked at me with eyes as big as saurcers and said "They can be shot in the air?"

grin

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 08/22/11 03:25 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

laugh

Sidelock
Sidelock

Get an English Pointer.

ESS and Cockers are great dogs, but I wouldn't want to run one on quail.

OWD

Last edited by obsessed-with-doubles; 08/22/11 03:55 PM.

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll tell my Springers they are not quail dogs, and sharpies, and that they can't hunt the high prairie, and, and, and......but they still are not convinced, neither are those darned dead birds they bring to hand. The thing is, a well trained dog can adapt to nearly anything, despite what you may read on the net.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SKB
I'll tell my Springers they are not quail dogs, and sharpies, and that they can't hunt the high prairie, and, and, and......but they still are not convinced, neither are those darned dead birds they bring to hand. The thing is, a well trained dog can adapt to nearly anything, despite what you may read on the net.

I'll buy that.

The most efficient quail dog isn't the most efficient duck dog. But, any one of them may be your ideal dog, given the right breeding, drive, temperment and training. What really matters is how often and how big they make you smile.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just to show I am not prejudiced here is a Setter

I can keep on going and going and going. I never realized how many pictures I have. But I will quit now. Thanks for putting up with me.

Best,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 08/22/11 04:12 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

An ESS/Cocker will never cast out 2-300 yards over birdy terrain, find a covey, and then point it until you arrive.

That's not how they hunt, plain and simple.

Instead, an ESS/Cocker stays with you (or you with it) and the two of you hunt together. Where the dogs goes, you follow.

That can be a lot of hard walking in open country - for you and the dog.

OWD

Last edited by obsessed-with-doubles; 08/22/11 04:44 PM.

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: homer
Buy a dog from a breeder of hunters. One that has proven desire to hunt and to please. Dogs that are partly trained and love the sound of the gun is the only way I'll go now. Ijust lost my best buddy of almost 15 years- a huge hunting machine of a GSP- last spring, so my opinion on breed would be a little biased.

I agree. A dog bred with a reliable hunting bloodline and a pro trained dog made me a believer. I'm doing exactly this (again) on my next dog, this fall.

Last edited by Chuck H; 08/22/11 04:38 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

For all kinds of hunting; how you gonna beat a Lab. I had a 50 lb female that was hands down, the best I ever had. If the bird would hold, she would point it. In 13 years of hunting, I bet I could count on one hand the downed birds she didn't find and retreive, land or water.

Out where you live, I'd look for a light colored yellow and verify how big the parents were. The smaller, the better.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You can ADOPT a great bird dog for just the cost of saving the dog and gas money. A friend of mine and I saved an English Setter recently for less than $1000. Most of the $1000 was vet bills and donation to the dog rescue ladies. This particular English Setter's Daddy was dying, or dead by then, and the dog rescue ladies had taken in the dog. While the dog's Daddy was sick and dying everybody forgot about his dog and let the dog almost starve to death in the back yard. Yes, this bird dog was almost dead of starvation when the rescue ladies got to him. They put him up on FACEBOOK under the IBDR, Ill Bird Dog Rescue, with warnings of imminent death if someone did not come and get him. I drove 700 miles one way to meet this English Setter bird dog. He was just about starved to death like the ladies said. He was so sick he could hardly eat, his stomach was shrunk up. I took him out back and you could immediately tell that he was a great dog. I gave the ladies a reward for saving the dog and took the dog 350 miles to my son's house and his neighbor a lady vet. The Lady Vet said we had a 50% chance of saving the dog, the dog was now starving and sick with a cough ! We got lucky, BUCK got well ! We gave BUCK to a hunting and shooting friend of ours who runs a shooting club. A few weeks ago a pro dog trainer was shooting and saw BUCK and said "that dog looks trained and acts trained". He got his whistle and blew a command and BUCK did what he was trained to do. BUCK was a college grad !!! He had a Masters Degree in finding birds and whistle commands. Go on FACEBOOK and look up dog rescue and you will see many choices.

Another good place to find dogs is:

Above and Beyond
English Setter Rescue

http://www.esrescue.org/

The CODE for a good bird dog at ABOVE AND BEYOND is they tell you that the dog IS NOT cat friendly OR that the dog is BIRDY. Some of the dog rescue ladies are NOT HUNTERS so be nice, look at the dog yourself and do not ask questions.

Good Shooting To You All, Jent

Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.