May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (jake van dyke, Ken Nelson, R Reynolds, Marks_21, Researcher, 1 invisible), 398 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,505
Posts545,545
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rookhawk
European checkering? Isn't that fish scales with a mermaid and a Teutonic knight carved into the motif? ...

Please remember that the word used in German for checkering is "Fischhaut" - fish skin.

And I suppose the best rejoinder remains that, if you can't carve wood like that, it's best to just say it's not your taste (and move on to another gun). Carvers wouldn't be carving it if it didn't sell.

---

Tony - your wood guy did his usual fine job. I can tell this is going to be a very nice gun when done.

Last edited by Dave in Maine; 08/26/11 09:28 AM.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Bastards!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh, and your case coloring needs much more purple and red in it to pull off the full "look" the euro market desires.

It'd be ideal if you combined all this advice on a gun with a good name... Perhaps a "Hussey"?

smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ballistix999
JDW I profess to give my guns to a checkering expert. He has 40 years of practice and is the best in the country if not the World in my opinion smile

T smile

Tony, while I appreciate your loyalty to your friend Geno has it right when he says that the best checkering is being done in the USA. We consider it an art form where as that's not the case in England and most of the European countries. Its just not as important in England as it is here.

I realize that you may not like the style of the checkering in the picture shown below but all of the diamonds are pointed with NO over runs. The outside panel is checkered at 24LPI the center panel is 32LPI.

Dave, those tight corners are, in my case, cut with a small veiner.

Doug Mann
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Point taken. Us Brits dont pansy around with prettys we want functional. wink

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doug, As I stated before, outstanding. May I ask approximately how long on just the for-end? I know you said you didn't want to remember how long it took for the entire job, but I can't comprehend the workmanship.
To me finishing the wood is one thing, but to do this type of checking that fine is a work of art.

I have seen pictures of high end L.C. Smiths, A3's A2's Monogams with the Fluer De Lis style in 28-32 lpi, done in the 1890's that was incredible for back then. These high end guns, nothing but the highest workers worked on them.

Thanks again for sharing this.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ballistix999
Point taken. Us Brits dont pansy around with prettys we want functional. wink

Tony, you know that is real stretch.....!....You Brits go GAGA over engraving, almost to an extreme level, all the metal must look like a rose garden.........but nothing drop dead on the wood to match...?......How can that be.......?........ The Point Is--Both sides have specific crafsmanship worthy of merit.....

Com'on now, be serious.......... smile

Cheers,

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's all a matter of how different tribes ornament themselves and their hunting tools, and is as old as humanity.

Take a look, for example, at some of the customs associated with hunting and shooting and how they vary across national lines. Look at the way the Germans traditionally honor the game - on a bed of boughs - at the end of the hunt. Put that into the totality of the context with the German preference for deep relief game-scene engraving on their guns (and the carving on the older gunstocks) and it all makes a lot more sense. It's not that far removed from paintings of aurochs, hirsch, chamois, horses and bears on the roofs of caves.

I suspect a cultural anthropologist or semioticist could make a lot out of the dominance of rose-and-scroll engraving on English guns, too. (Where's Umberto Eco when you really need him?) I'm just not that culturally educated or astute.

Last edited by Dave in Maine; 08/26/11 02:23 PM.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've seen excellent and lousy checkering from all parts of the gun making world.

Here are some example of good work:

Checkering on a pre-WW2 German double:
http://www.hallowellco.com/heym%2012%206042.htm

On a British gun, circa 1880
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/14253New_Scott_3.jpg

On a modern Italian gun:
http://www.hallowellco.com/rizzini%2012ga%20pair.htm

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lovely piece of wood, and the checkering looks awesome. I would have neither the patience, nor the steadyness to do that.
Ballistix - I am guessing its only a matter of time until you do this yourself? you seem to pick up every other skill? BTW that cross hatch finish is far nicer that fish scales!... lol

What is it about these old guns that draws us in?
www.firearms4sale.com.au
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.