May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Calgary Bill, LGF, SKB, 1 invisible), 834 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,496
Posts545,394
Members14,412
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Going to check with the experts in Birmingham tomorrow and come back to you. I'm going to ask St Ledgers too and they will give me the difinitive answer. I've heard both. I've seen only hardenend. smile

T

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Not going to get into the hook debate..I've seen how it's done here and most people reface the hook. Period.

T

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ok. I'm anxious to learn more.

Good to "debate" with you. I enjoy it.

Hope you're feeling well, btw.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

The barrel hook is softer than the hardened hinge pin, the barrel hook will wear long before the hinge pins.........so to replace hinge pins will NOT put a worn gun back on face......

The barrel hook remains worn because it is softer and the gun will not be back on face until the barrel hook is EITHER replaced or welded up........and that's the way it is done period...........around the world, maybe not in Maine, but everywhere else I know of...........

You can put five or six new hinge pins in and still be shooting a loose lump............!.........

Doug

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

OWD, definately good debate, and taken in good spirit. I'm feeling well at the moment and hobbling around and looking forward to my duck season start Thursday...I have ducks all over here on the farm! Need to finish the Grants /wink.

PA24. You got it old man...it's great to debate though. Anyway I'll check with the "pros" tomorrow. smile

T

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm a rank amateur on this subject but I've had guns put back on face using both methods. Regardless of which method is used the hook still needs to be refit to the pin by filing. Replacing the pin can be darned complicated and expensive, especially if new engraving is involved. So, if the pin isn't worn out of round I prefer working on the hook.

Which leads me to mention that refitting the hook is also a very time consuming job to be done properly. "Cheap" is not in its vocabulary. I've seen a number of jobs done that the hook doesn't make over 10% contact with the pin. Oh, they're tight but after a flat of shells they're loose as ever. If buying and you suspect the quality of the work put some black on the hook and check the contact.

Last edited by Joe Wood; 08/29/11 07:01 PM.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

"BTW: welding up the hook is not the proper way to put a quality double back on the face. Replacing the hinge pin is. Welding is how you deal with fixed cross pins, or a shortcut."

I'm no expert on this, but when I asked Holland and Holland about replacing the removable pin in my H&H Dominion grade, they said it isn't done any more that way. The sent me to their repair contact in Lousiana, Ken Eversole, I think, who laser welded the hook. As near perfect a job as I've ever seen. It cost me about $700.

Last edited by Vol423; 08/29/11 06:58 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That's it Vol smile

T

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bah!

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Vol423
Originally Posted By: OWD
"BTW: welding up the hook is not the proper way to put a quality double back on the face. Replacing the hinge pin is. Welding is how you deal with fixed cross pins, or a shortcut."

I'm no expert on this, but when I asked Holland and Holland about replacing the removable pin in my H&H Dominion grade, they said it isn't done any more that way. The sent me to their repair contact in Lousiana, Ken Eversole, I think, who laser welded the hook. As near perfect a job as I've ever seen. It cost me about $700.

I think OWD just sits around and reads out dated books, no real world experience.........?

It hasn't been done that way since before OWD was born........!..........

Doug

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.