April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (earlyriser, Pwog, MattH, 1 invisible), 1,056 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,139
Members14,409
Most Online1,271
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hoof Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am working on an old junker hammer LC Smith (fluid steel barrels). It has a dent in the barrel that looks like it was made by contact with something thin and square across the barrel. I measured it at .1 wide, and .25 long. As best as I can measure it is approximately .015" deep on the surface. It is just over 18" from the breech. It is just barely visible on the inside of the barrel.

I have two questions;
What is the going price to have a good smith pound out the dent?

Can I test fire the gun with the dent in the barrel?

Thanks,
CHAZ

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes you could test fire the gun if you would like to do possibly irrepairable damage.
It will cost a very small amount of money to knock the dent out with a plannisher. THEN you could test fire it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have plenty of guns with little dents in the barrels, never stopped me using them. No doubt getting them fixed is the best idea.

What is it about these old guns that draws us in?
www.firearms4sale.com.au
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like you should invest in a barrel jack...I was told that shooting a barrel with a dent causes the metal to prematurely wear at the dent.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you have the means to acturately measure the bores and have access to a lathe make plugs .001 smaller than bore. Early L.C. Smiths, some have tapered bores starting at .729 (a few at .725)and after 17" or so, they taper to .720 and then again to .718. to choke. So if your gun is tapered, then plugs have to be made to fit. I make them in .002 increments out of aluminum.
For the dent removal plug, once I find out the size I make a tapered plug out of steel, around 3-4" long that will fit under the dent and the other end will be .001 under bore size in that area. On the opposite side I drill and tap a 3/8-16 hole for attaching a 3/8" rod that is covered with tygon tubing with a handle on the end and tap this under the dent. I lightly heat the barrel to "loosen" the molecules and with a flat headed hammer, (planisher) tap that area, tap the plug farther, tap area, until dent is gone and plug slides smoothly in bore. Sometimes on a very sharp dent, the crease will never come out. I don't like to file the outside of the barrels unless I know there is plenty of wall to do so.

Barely visible is a tough call to make looking on the inside and .015 is a very deep dent as in this area the barrels would only have approximately .025 wall thickness.

I was typing this as Homeless jOe posted his comment. Unless you shoot many hundreds of shells through this gun, wearing of this area with the protection of the plastic wad I would think protect that area. But like I said, if .015 that is a problem. The only way that could be measured is with a dial indicator with a needle tip.

Last edited by JDW; 08/29/11 08:41 AM.

David

Hoof Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks all.

I am going to try and lift the dent myself before firing the gun, if I can't get it then I will have a good gunsmith work on it for me.

As far as the depth of the dent I was trying to use the "pin" that extends from the back of a regular dial caliper, so my "measurement" is a worst case guess.

Thanks,
CHAZ

Last edited by Hoof; 08/29/11 09:57 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Unless you have experience and the proper jack for raising dents I'd suggest having an experienced gunsmith work on it....might be cheaper in the long run.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A small localized dent has never caused any additional problems/damage on guns I've seen shot or guns I've owned. Chances are that the gun has been shot hundreds of times since that dent got in there. Inspect the area for a bulge by pointing the barrels at a light source and looking along the outside of the barrels at a very shallow angle.

If the dent is not sharp at the bottom, you can put the fitted plug in the bore with some grease on it to help slip under the dent, then apply some clear thin packing tape to the outside and use a nicely polished steel hammer to wail on it (just kiddin, tap nicely). The tape will protect the surface beyond your wildest imagination. It also increases the required force to raise the dent, so be prepared to hit harder than without tape. Check under the tape often.

If the dent is sharp at the bottom, I'd go bare with a steel hammer and get it worked to satisfaction working around the dent with the hammer. Then refinish as necessary.

Last edited by Chuck H; 08/29/11 11:34 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck, are you talking about the brown plastic tape or the nylon reinforced?

Hoof Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

You will not believe this, but I used a 1/2" socket as a buck and it worked quite well. Dumb luck that the outside diameter of the socket was perfect, but it was. I actually found another smaller dent when the socket stopped before reaching the dent I wanted to work on. I used a soft punch and worked both dents out. Just the lightest bit of filing and sanding removed almost all traces. This picture is terrible, and I was so anxious to start I forgot a before photo, but the worst of the two dents used to be in the exact center of the frame.
Thanks for all the advice.
CHAZ

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.