March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Marc Ret, Argo44, LGF, Ian Forrester, Ted Schefelbein, LeFusil), 823 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Franchi Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi:

I am looking for an alternate butt plate to use on a "vintage" sporter.

In the past, I have used the ubiquitous Niedner butt plate and grip cap but I am now looking for a butt plate. On the last sporter that I did I used a Winchester M 70 butt plate but it appeared to be rather chunky and bulky. It did not have the deep bow in it nor was it rounded to the sides like the Neidner

Any suggestions as what I may use that would look great on a 1930-1950 era Springfield sporter?

Oh yes, I did a shotgun with a piece of Water Buffalo horn and it looked great. Perhaps a piece of horn would be the cat's pajamas.

TIA,

Franchi

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've wanted to try one of these
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=220258

Unfortunately, MidwayUSA no longer carries them and I haven't found another supplier.

PhysDoc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Midway carries the Miles Gilbert buttplate - and if you want more curvature, it's a simple matter to bend it to suit. Well, maybe not simple, but certainly doable.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=113848

I read in Michael's book, I believe (I may be wrong) that the originals in Niedner's shop were made from steel pipe - the pattern was drawn onto pipe, and cut out, then bent and shaped. That gave you the nice convex surface.

Sunny Hill also makes a nice Niedner:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=619353

And there's the Dakota model:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=974721

But a steel butt plate, like dating a super model, is over rated. They rust, they get scratched up, and they slide across the floor and let the rifle clatter to the ground. I think a nice red rubber Silvers pad is gorgeous, and practical.

Last edited by Ryan McNabb; 09/08/11 02:56 PM.
Franchi Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi Ryan:

Thanks for the information!

Yes, steel butt plates will allow a gun to go sliding across a floor at what seems like warp speed.

Back in the early 60's I stocked a Winchester M-70 with a thin red rubber recoil pad and I thought that it looked very spiffy. I had always used a black pad and this was a pleasant change.

I would like to find a thin red pad to go on this 06. The Silver pads seem to only come in thick sizes

I have not used a pad grinding jij yet but always sanded the pad down with it attached to the unfinished stock. It had to be correct that way! lol

I can't get my mind to accept a modern pad on a classic style rifle. However, I have reached the age where shooting an 06 is not fun! My next "deer rifle" is going to be a .257 Roberts. A late friend of mine swore by his .250-3000 as a great "dear rifle" so the Roberts should also be a good one.

Thanks again,

Franchi

Sidelock
Sidelock

PhysDoc, Track of the Wolf carries them.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories...m=BP-SHOT-C-2-I

Franchi, take a look at some of Pachmayer's English style Decelerators. Different colors and thicknesses. A thin red one might look nice and ease the blow a little. Also, look over the Track of the Wolf website. Thirty some pages of buttplates; most for muzzleloaders but a couple might work. A smooth 1885 Winchester comes to mind.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories...=BP-WIN-85-SH-I

Last edited by Bob Saathoff; 09/09/11 09:26 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The BEST steel buttplate is the McFarland available from Brownells. I prefer the 'shotgun' style for rifles. It is difficult to find someone to checker them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Franchi
In the past, I have used the ubiquitous Niedner butt plate and grip cap but I am now looking for a butt plate. On the last sporter that I did I used a Winchester M 70 butt plate but it appeared to be rather chunky and bulky. It did not have the deep bow in it nor was it rounded to the sides like the Neidner
Franchi

You might try rounding the edges of the clunky Win plate and adding more curvature if wanted. I too like the Win plate except for the square edges, and there's plenty of room for rounding. Also you might consider heel-&-toe plates or a skeleton plate instead. Several Guild members offer high-quality plates but they are pricey.

A suggestion for checkering is to ask someone who does it on handguns; one of my smith friends has used my electric checkering tool for many years on his Colt Government builds.

I use a Galco velcro add-on pad during the off-season when in shirtsleeves, it solves the slip-&-slide-on-hard-surface problems nicely.
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Glenn Fewless, I believe, makes a solid version of his skeleton buttplate. However, I don't know how to get information other than calling Glenn. I think I'll pass on the $247.00 Dakota.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here ya go - multiple red rubber pads.

http://www.csmcspecials.com/category_s/18.htm

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
I think I'll pass on the $247.00 Dakota.

Yeah...same here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.