May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (JDH, Argo44, 1 invisible), 1,122 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,503
Posts545,538
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Got a 16 ga. JC Higgins that shoots well, but is hard to open. I think it may be the cocking lugs. Any suggestions for lubing/cleaning them? It's a Savage 5100.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is it hard all the time or just when you shoot it ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Check for firing pin drag on fired primers.

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Has the buttstock ever been off & the action cleaned & lubricated? If so, then better chance that the firing pins are dragging. If it has never had the buttstock removed, then now is the time to do so. The NRA published a series of books on firearms assembly of most hunting guns. I believe a version of your gun is covered in either volume 1 or 2, but not sure which.

Irrespective, first thing I would look for is any deformation showing on the fired primers of the cartridges you are using. They will clearly bear drag marks, if one or both are the culprit. No marks would indicate the need for a good strip & clean.

w/drag marks:

If you are using reloads, some primers have harder cup material than others, so you might be able to avoid the issue by using a published appropriate recipe that calls for a dif primer.

Same may be said of different factory loaded ammunition; some brands will have harder primer cups than others.

OTOH, you may wish to look closely at the firing pin holes and also the ends of the firing pins to see if the holes are worn or the firing pin ends are eroded or broken. Using a tough material [hardwood or horn] held against the standing breech you can fire both bbls and then check the projection of the firing pins. They should project 1.5mm or .060" maximum through the standing breech. If it is more than that they need to be stoned back to that or a bit less, keeping them hemispherical rather than sharp. Less than 1mm or .040" is considered too little for reliable ignition, so go easy & don't over doit. Too much firing pin projection can cause dragging i.e, hard opening.

Hope something here helps you out. All easy enough to check. Not a big deal to a qualified gunsmith, so shouldn't be overly expensive to get repaired if you do not wish to tackle it yourself.

kind regards, tw

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe

Just when I shoot it. It probably needs cleaning.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Spanish 20 gauge (low priced gun) that I bought new in 1970. It was so hard to open after shooting it that I had to break it open over my knee. The firing pins were protruding too far. I filed them back and the problem was solved. But as mentioned, you should see evidence of drag marks on the shell casing.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

No drag marks on the primers, but the primer holes are pretty deep.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gene,try different brands of shells.Could be the primers causing it. Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Genelang
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe

Just when I shoot it. It probably needs cleaning.

The pressure might be too high.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It's a near minimum load.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.