Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Go to the five stand with no gloves or barrel guard and heat her up real good "mate".

Sorry jOe, I don't sweat all over my guns, not my style............and I don't use barrel guards.........

Since you say you had trouble with "cold" turkey guns doubling and "hot" guns doubling on the 5 stand, maybe your problem is not with the lefty thing or the guns or the triggers or the sweat but something else....... grin.......?.....Just a thought.......?..........

Cheers,

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Originally Posted By: Gnomon
The rear trigger should be a bit greater, say by about a half-pound.

Please explain why you think that is important.

I've read that as long as I remember and can make no sense of it whatsoever. If it is so that the trigger finger can move to the rear trigger safely, without setting it off, it assumes that the front trigger will always be fired first, which flies in the face of the argument for double triggers to begin with. If it is supposed to be because the recoil from the right barrel will not jar the sear out of bent, then the geometry of the sear and notch is wrong. A trigger pull that is safe on the right trigger can be duplicated on the left and be perfectly capable of withstanding severe recoil without going off.

SRH

I have heard this as long as I remember, too and I have all my triggers set this way. For the type of shooting I do, the birds are mostly going away from me and I indeed generally shoot the right barrel first. But sometimes I do shoot the left first. This does not negate the argument for double triggers.

Maybe it's just convention but it's also what I have gotten used to over the decades and it feels funny otherwise.

That might be as good a reason as any.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PA24

Sorry jOe, I don't sweat all over my guns, not my style............and I don't use barrel guards.........

Well ain't you something...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Hard to get a "true" double with a DT gun by slipping from the front trigger to the back.

left handed...hot barrels it's not real hard.

By a "true" double, I mean a virtually simultaneous report. You can't move your finger fast enough, from one trigger to the other, to do that. Those that have been around guns that have doubled will have observed one big boom (true double), as well as a very fast boom-boom, two distinct but very rapid reports. Unless you have two fingers in the trigger guard and pull both at the same time, the one big boom isn't going to happen as a result of anything you do with your trigger finger, on a DT gun.

Re Jones' test, all you need is the snap cap, and you don't need to examine anything. After you've pulled the front trigger, pull the rear. If it goes click, the gun would not have doubled had that barrel been loaded with a live round. If that hammer dropped (slack trigger when you pull it) and you're sure you did not slip back to the rear trigger, then you've likely got a sear issue.

If you are left handed it most certainly can be done....if you are right handed it's damn near impossible for your finger to slip back and hit the rear trigger. (yOu should get out more Brown)

And you should do some work on capitalization, jOe. Really important subject, you know. After all, it's the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off his horse and helping your uncle jack off his horse.

Slipping from one trigger to the other, no matter whether it happens to a righty or a southpaw, still requires a time lag for the finger to get from one trigger to the other. So the "double" you get is a very rapid boom-boom, not one single, louder boom. Try it with snappies, jOe, after you've completed your capitalization homework. And tell us whether you get one louder click or a rapid click-click.

As for it being more likely to happen to a lefty . . . well maybe, but it depends on the gun. The "lefties have a higher probability of slipping" thing would seem to be true, since each trigger has its own slot, and the front trigger is in the right slot--meaning the left trigger is farther left. However, take a look at your DT guns and you will see that on many of them, the front trigger is slightly canted to the left, putting the bottom of the right trigger blade pretty much in line with the left trigger.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kinda hard to help uncle jAck off when he evidently barely knows how to ride...

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.