April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (tut, rtw, oskar, Jem Finch, Hugh Lomas, 1 invisible), 1,158 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,843
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Slightly off topic, but related to my previous thread about tightening chokes in a double, what would be the best $500 or under backup 16b gun (notice I didn't say it necessarily had to be a double) that would a)be able to handle almost any factory load if called for, and b)have some measure of choke flexibility (no fixed choke single barrel guns). The gun would be an all purpose backup/clays/waterfowl/rainy day gun to give me a few more options to go with my much loved 30" Lefever, which I primarily use as an upland hun/chukar/pheasant gun. I'm thinking either a Lefever nitro (it would be nice to have a pair of Lefevers), a bps 16b (Browning is coming out with them this year) to match my bps 12b (I like the tang safety and bottom ejection), or maybe even an A-5. There's an older solid rib A-5 at a local shop with a poly choke (I know, they're ugly, but functional) and sling for $350 that is pretty tempting, and it has a great "patina." Thoughts?

Last edited by marklart; 02/07/07 12:06 AM.

Imagination is everything. - Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

I truly believe everybody needs at least one 16 gauge Auto 5. A solid rib A-5 with a poly choke would be classic. If it is in decent shape, get it. I cant see how you can get hurt for $350.00. When I was a kid my best friends grandad had one similar to what you are talking about and he let me use it one day, beat the hell out of my 20 gauge H&R topper jr! Kicked less too.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll add a Remington model 31 to the list.

Last edited by postoak; 02/07/07 01:01 AM.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Remington is making the 870 again in 16 gauge. It's ultra reliable and a heck of a lot cheaper that 500 bucks. Come to think of it, I think I'll order one tomorrow.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the 870 is a bit more than $500.00 if it is new. But if I had to buy a gun and only had $500.00 to do it with, I'd probably have to opt for a pellet gun with a scope and laser. Just perfect for night hunting.

Have to second the vote on the Rem Model 31 and add the Winchester Model 12. Both are built on "true" 16 ga frames and consequently carry a lot better than a 12 ga of the same model. It might be as plain as a mud fence by the standards of most double fans, but I usually shoot my plain barrel (i.e., ribless) Mod 31 16 ga as well or better than any other gun I've ever owned.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know a thing about these "Russingtons", but it seems interesting and...well, cheap. I would like to hear other's thoughts on this O/U for the 16ga lovers- appears to be feature laden and priced too good to be true. Maybe it handles like a brick on the end of a 2x4?

Remington's Spartan™ Gunworks -- working with Russia's premier gun maker is offering a… 16 gauge … over/under SPR310 line with a MSRP of $517 with single selective trigger, auto ejectors, C-IC-M-F choke tubes, 28" ventilated ribbed barrels and a cataloged weight of 7-1/4 pounds. Note that Spartan™ choke tubes are not interchangeable with Rem© Chokes.

I found one someone didn't like his so much, selling it after only 10 boxes of shells (buy it now $399):

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=7850877

Last edited by dbadcraig; 02/07/07 02:00 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

How about a nice used Ithaca M37 Featherlight?

marklart,

Did I read you correctly, a 16 gauge BPS?

Kind regards,

THERE'S the meat and potatoes, right on there Gunplumber, the venerable classic Ithaca 37. I have a nearly mint one I got off GB for a paltry 250.00 (a 1960 model) that my wife walked out back one day while Dave and I were busting clays. She'd never even shouldered a shotgun ONCE in her life, but wanted to try. We let three clays go one at a time, she dusted all three. We were real excited and wanted her to continue, she just shrugged and said "nah, I just wanted to see if I could do it. Seems awful easy, I don't know why you guys even bother" and walked back inside.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think I am with Randy on this one. The model 37 is a very neat gun. You get the bottom ejection you like in a much more minimalist package than the Browning - particularly in the older guns. I personally am a really big fan of the Model 12 in 16, but a really nice one will run a bit more than $500, though a servicable one for not that much more. The old A5 "Sweet Sixteen" is one of the classic guns of the middle half of the 20th century. Great guns, though no A5 was ever accused of being light or particularly elegant. My only caution would be that the occasional Browning can be a little cranky. I think I would cruise the web and your local shops and grab either the Ithaca or the Winchester depending upon where I found the first best deal.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.