March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Gunning Bird, SKB, Travis S, 2 invisible), 333 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,001
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Originally Posted By: Mike Harrell
No such thing as an all purpose gun.

Sure there is. Both the 16 gauge and 12 gauge fit the bill, at least in the lower 48.

In Indiana my 2 3/4 chambered 12 gauge has taken:

Deer (slugs)geese, ducks, quail, pheasant, rabbits, doves, squirrel, crows, coots, and snipe. If I hunted them I also could take coyotes and fox.

Loads and choke can be adjusted for just about any game.

Todd

Youth is stolen by Wisdom.
Sidelock
Sidelock

J. Hall---I've never had a double apart in nearly 70 years of gunning, not even when retrieved from three to five fathoms of salt water.

Maintaining a wet gun is normal; gunning for ducks is bad weather, period. Wipe 'em, clean 'em, oil sparingly as soon as possible, always before anything else.

There is no rust on my guns, and Nova Scotia is a raft jutting into the North Atlantic.

I agree with Mike: no such thing as an all-purpose gun; too many compromises, avoid like the plague.

Regards, King

Sidelock
Sidelock

In concert with King's post, I don't beleive in seeking an "all purpose gun". Buy the gun that you need/desire for the immediate task and determine if you need/desire a different gun later when a different task presents itself. Can you hunt quail with a 12g 3 1/2" mag 391 Extrema? You bet. Would I want to? I'd rather hunt quail with a bb gun.

Originally Posted By: Chuck H
In concert with King's post, I don't beleive in seeking an "all purpose gun". Buy the gun that you need/desire for the immediate task and determine if you need/desire a different gun later when a different task presents itself. Can you hunt quail with a 12g 3 1/2" mag 391 Extrema? You bet. Would I want to? I'd rather hunt quail with a bb gun.

There is a difference between an "all-purpose" gun and a gun that is ideally suited to all purposes. Some people don't have enough money for a dedicated quail gun, a dedicated duck gun, a dedicated goose gun, and a dedicated deer gun.

Although a 12 gauge 2 3/4 chambered gun can perform very adequately on all of the game listed, each quarry would have a different "ideal" gun and cartridge. BUT, as a "poor" college kid I managed to take whatever game I hunted with the same shotgun. It made a fine "all-purpose" gun for me.

Todd

Youth is stolen by Wisdom.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck, your "all-purpose" reminds me of my dear uncle in Boston. He pronounced horse as hoss. As a child, I'd say, No, Uncle Bert, it's horse. "Well, a hoss is a hoss to me." Regards, King

Sidelock
Sidelock

King: good to know guns are not too fragile. A gun pulled out of salt water might be washed off with fresh water to get rid of the salt. Then on to dry and oil.

In drizzle in Idaho; the A-Bolt stainless I had seemed fairly impervious. Stayed in a place that had dry electric heat. After a few hours indoors the A-Bolt was dry inside when taken apart. A low humidity enviroment can dry a gun quickly. If it dries before rust starts, that would likely take care of it.

Pumps and autos can get seeds, twigs, etc. inside as they are carried through cover, which could stop the gun, as did a stray shot pellet wedged into the carrier of a Gold auto. The trigger was easily pulled out and cleared. It would have needed a backup if not cleared up so easily.

I'm with you Todd, there are guns that could be considered all purpose guns. They might not be the best and any one thing, but they can do everything reasonably well (not considering serious competition). I have a 12 ga. Beretta Whitewing with choked tubes and 3" chambers and weighs just under 7 lbs. There is not much it can't do pretty darn well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Or a Winchester Model 12 with a Polychoke and a wart or two. Just make sure whatever you get is not so old that it can't eject 2.75 inch hulls. TT

"The very acme of duck shooting is a big 10, taking ducks in pass shooting only." - Charles Askins
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
There is a difference between an "all-purpose" gun and a gun that is ideally suited to all purposes. Some people don't have enough money for a dedicated quail gun, a dedicated duck gun, a dedicated goose gun, and a dedicated deer gun.

Ozpa,
That's why they make H&R's and Mossbergs in various gauges. Besides, if money was critical, 16g would not be in the consideration as 12g is cheaper and more commonly available on sale.

Last edited by Chuck H; 02/08/07 12:47 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

There is a vast difference in an "All Purpose Gun" which does not exist & a "Multi Purpose Gun" which does. A 12 or 16 ga weighing 6 3/4-7 lbs & capable of handling shot charges up through 1¼ oz (low velocity for recoil) Will handle an amazing variety of game.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.