Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry, my Model 500 20ga o/u SST circa 70s has blue frame and barrels marked right side "Made by SKB Arms Company, Japan" and on left "SKB Model 500 20ga 3" chamber proof tested Mitsui&Co. (U.S.A.) Inc., Chicago, Ill. Bought it new for $CAN180, couldn't take it from me without a fight.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Guys, I'm not sure you're distinguishing "blued" from the standard Ithaca SKB black chrome finish. It looks like bluing, only duller than much of the bright blue you see on barrels (of other guns). If there is a difference between the receiver and the barrels . . .if it's the barrels that look shiny in comparison, I'd suspect reblue. I have seen a couple of those (and in one case I know for sure it was a reblue, because I knew the guy who had it done). I've never seen one with a receiver that looked to have a standard blued finish and black chrome barrels (receiver would appear shiny in comparison, I'd say). Later SKB imports, without the Ithaca name, late 80's and starting again in the 90's--by that time, they weren't doing the black chrome process any more, because as I understand it, that had been halted by the Japanese equivalent of the EPA.
(But those guns had other differences anyhow, like coin finished receivers and choke tubes.) Might be some late Ithaca guns that were blued, and possibly the Mitsui-marked guns as well, which came at the end of the first sxs import period back in the mid-70's. Haven't seen a Mitsui-marked SKB in quite some time, and have never seen a blued Ithaca SKB (other than barrel reblue) as far as I can recall--and I've seen a whole bunch of them, both sxs and OU.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry, I can assure you that my earlier Ithaca SKB 100 has both blued barrels and a blued frame. The blueing is turning white on the bottom of the frame from carrying and is taking on a red hue that can be seen in bright sun light. The color of the blue mathches on barrels and frame. The second model 100 that I bought later cheap from someone has a blued frame and black chrome barrels. It is quite easy to tell the diffrence on this gun because it has spent some time in a salt marsh and one side of the frame is rusty but the barrels are perfectly black. I also have a Ithaca SKB skeet gun that has black chrome barrels. Around 2002 I sent this gun back to Japan to have the forend lug rebrazed. When the gun was returned to me they made sure that they got a little heavy handed with the buffing wheel over the words "Custom Crafted For Ithaca By SKB" so that it can't be read so easilly. They sent it back with the barrels black chromed. So I can assume that they can and do chrome platting at this latter date. I also inquired about having a second set of barrels made for it while it was in Japan and they said that they could do it and I was quoted a price of over $1000. I figured I could buy another gun for that amount so didn't do it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My Model 100 20 ga was bought when I was in college in the mid 70's it is an Ithaca and it has black chrome body and barrels.... Now if someone could tell me what black chrome is and where I can have my reciever retreated I'd appreciate it!

Jerry

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting, Tanky. Happened to talk to a guy who's been in the gun business for a long time today, and he said he'd never seen blued Ithaca SKB's either--all black chrome (except some of the higher grade guns, which had a silver nitride receiver). But I suppose there's a first time for everything. I have most definitely seen black chromed Ithaca SKB's on which either the receiver or the barrels (or both) are starting to get whitish in color, presumably due to handling or other wear.

Jerry, I imagine there are more than a few Ithaca SKB owners out there that would like to have their metalwork freshened up. Don't know of anywhere in this country, however, where you'd end up with anything but a blued gun as a result.

Larry, I currently have one with chromed barrels and blued receiver. When I bought it, the fellow had another that had blued barrels that needed redone. It was an ejector gun and I assume it was a 200E.

Lenard

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Model 150 that had a blued receiver. It's now case colored and it came out very nice.

Gordon

Our Dogs make our lives better
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.