May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (mark, CJF, prairie ghost, FlyChamps, Themauserkid), 335 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,537
Posts546,031
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

UPD - posted the link someone asked for, on his favotire huntclub.ru hunting board. With a synopsis of what's been said here. Damn, life's a [censored]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Humpty Dumpty,
Would it be possible to inform our hunting brothers & sisters in Russia how much we here all valued Geno's input. He is sadly missed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Salopian - I did. Or, at least, tried to.

A bit of an orbituary now before I can move on.

Acad. Vinogradov believed, that one of the functions of a poetic text is to give the readers an insight of the author's vision of the world, and, in effect, reading a lot of poetic (prosaic) text will give the reader an insight of the author's mind, the author's personality. If this theory is true, than Geno was a bit of a poet. Because, for many people across the world he became closer and dearer than many persons whom we know in flesh, although the only contact we had were through his posts on various forums. His texts were such that we got to know him as well, as one person can hope to know another.

Speaking of which, the Russian hunting forum that he perferred, frequented, and helped to establish, the www.huntclub.ru is a very special place. It is the freest place in the Russian outdoor Web - you don't even have to register to post, there's no moderator, and the posts cannot be edited or deleted. It's manned by people who are not ashamed or afraid to be what they are, to have the opinion they have, to speak up when they feel they should, and to tell it as it is, uncomfortable details and all. The arguments do get pretty fired up and personal of course - and that might be what keeps the weenees out. However, Huntclub is much more interesting and pointful, and with dramaticaly fewer numbers of agression, incompetence, trolling and lunatics than any of its heavily-moderated competitors. Shows you the value of freedom.

Geno, as was already mentioned, was one of the founders, the regulars, and one of the souls of the Huntclub, and added a welcome grain of salt - or should I say spice? - on other boards. He had a firm stand on many issues, and he never quit or gave up the fight, especially when it came to his beloved Irish Setters, and the best ways to preserve and improve the breed. He never hesitated to offer his knowledge in the questions of guns, fine and less fine, especially when he felt there was some kind of dishonesty in gun trade. On the other hand, he could be trusted to help a friend sell a gun if it was worth it. He has made a few bitter enemies in these issues - but he will be severely and painfully missed even by those who considered themselves his enemies.

And as to the "nothing girly about his being called Gena" - it's NOT "jeenah"! The name must be pronounced with the "g" as in "get", and the "e" as in "pen". But then again you probably know all that.

I have to speak of the Internet, because I never hunted with him, never met him in person. I wish I did, and it hurts so much to think it's never going to happen. Or - who knows? The thought that will comfort me when it's my turn to depart for the happy hunting grounds, is that there might be some bloody good company waiting out there...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pete, thanks for the pictures.

Humpty, thanks for the link to the Huntclub, very interesting articles.

Last edited by JDW; 10/27/11 08:08 AM.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Like all of you, I am sad about Geno´s death.
For sure I will miss his great participation in this forum.
In some way, we are like a brotherhood, united by a common interest; there is no diferences between us when we are in this site.
As we say in Mexico, "Geno se nos adelanto" (Geno is only ahead of us).

I do not know if it is improper to ask (I apologize if it is the case), but what was the cause of his death?
In the photos he looks like a healty man, full of life, 51 years old... (Humpty, I understand you, "la vida es una p... mierda" life is a.....)

Jose M. Fernandez
Sidelock
Sidelock

Apparently, stroke.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here are some more photos.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In Memory of Gena

This was a hunt for the ultra-wary, world's largest grouse, the Capercaillle. He shot it on the wing at about 50 yards after a 1/2 mile stalk on crunchy snow- taking each step when the bird could not hear for 3 or 4 seconds during it's lekking call. I was lucky to be there exercising my crazy passion; flying gamebird photography. The exceptional trophy weighed 5 kilos (11 lbs.) and was surprisingly good when he cooked it; It tasted somewhat like pine nuts rather than a turpentined old rooster.

He lived life to the fullest while he was here......

Last edited by C. Kofoed; 10/27/11 04:57 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ah! I was waiting for a picture of him with the most famous, at least with me, Russian bird, the Black Capercaillie!

Many Thanks Clare! Look at the size of that thing! Geno looks as proud and happy as he should be.

Sidelock
Sidelock

very sad, i look at the pics. and look in the mirror and see somebody about my age, way to young to go. may he rest in peace. as i was scrooling down on the grouse at first i thought a goose. as i got farther down the head looked like a ringneck. i had no idea what it was. thanks for the pics. and info. god bless. jeff

N Central PA
NRA Endowment
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.