April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (ChiefAmungum, DaveB, earlyriser, Bob Jurewicz, LeFusil), 417 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,795
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well folks, we got quails South of the Equator too. Here the species is California quail (Callipepla Californica), introduced in the 1870s by Chilean miners coming back from the Gold Rush. Sorry no quail pictures this time.

They are quite numerous over a 1000 mile range; the open season goes from April to August, bag limit is 25 per daily outting.

My current quail shotgun is a Josef Winkler (Ferlach) 16Ga, 27.5 " barrels, 15.5" LOP. Weight: 5lb 14oz, DT SG.

Last season I had four shooting days averaging 12 pieces each. The usual hunting method implies a beater that shakes blackberry bushes that grow along irrigation canals where quails take refuge. Outgoing quails are not easy targets, success rate is usually below 30%. Dogs are helpful fetching runners.

Next season I am planning to add a second gun; an A.Fox AE 20 Ga that is now with the stock maker.

Regards

EJSXS

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Great posts, guys! Keep 'em coming!

Ed, yes, there is still a lot of put and take but there are wild birds around if you're willing to work for them. This year, I and a few others, are taking up a 500 acre lease in Southwest Georgia. This property has a long history of quail management and offers a good wild population. We also plan to conduct early release and maintain established coveys of "almost wild" quail.

This year should be good. We had a severe drought early on which really hurt properties that conducted burning this year (our place was not burned this year) but nesting seems to have been good and insect production was great. Just last week, I flushed 3 coveys (off the road) in 2 1/2 hrs while walking around taking photos.

Jose, thank you very much for your insight. Several years ago, I read an article in an old Pointing Dog Journal. They were hunting banded quail and redbreasted quail in Morelos. It was horseback hunt through farmland in a fairly mountainous area. This article spurred an interest in all the "exotic" quail species.

For those of you who are interested, here are some photos of the some lesser known bowhites (most of which are found in Mexico)

Crested Bobwhite

Speckled Bobwhite

Black-throated Bobwhited

Tennessee Red

Masked Bobwhite

Wood Spotted Quail

I know that was a little off topic but I really enjoy learning about these lesser known quail... especially the bobwhite variants.

Adam

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for those pictures Adam, I'm also very interested in the numerous Bobwhite "variants"...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

One would be hard pressed to find better knockabout little bird gun then "ribless" Beretta 'White Wing' 20br.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Really like that hammer gun Lang. And PA24 as usual I can see your super restoration skills at work mate. Thanks for showing them.
T

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ballistix999
Really like that hammer gun Lang. And PA24 as usual I can see your super restoration skills at work mate. Thanks for showing them.
T

Thank you on the Lang! That's really a compliment coming from a man who can do the quality work on guns that you do. Smallbore brought this gun over and I bought it at auction back in 2007.

It's a fun gun to shoot once you get used to the non-rebounding hammers. I quit counting last year when I reached 3000 cartridges through it. I'll be shooting it at the Vintagers in two weeks. There's something special about shooting a 145 year old gun. If the good Lord allows me another five years of good health I plan to take it quail hunting on March 6, 2016, for it's 150th anniversary. I only hope that it's successor custodian enjoys it as much as I have.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fantastic, enjoy the gun. Thanks for the comments.

Dig can "dig" up some gems eh? smile

Cheers

T

Sidelock
Sidelock

Adam,
thanks for this thread. Quail is my favorite hunting bird as I'm sure it is for many that have posted.

I love to hunt them with my .410's. I've come to completely trust that my .410's are capable and I don't even give any of my larger gauge guns a thought when going quail hunting in the last few years.

Here's a couple of mine.

Some of you may consider these as proper quail guns as well.

An Ithaca 20g grade 3 ejector with a factory single trigger restored.

Parker 28g Repro 28".

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've only hunted a few varieties of quail. The ones that come to mind are Tennesee Reds, Mearns, Scailed, Gambels, and California (Valley) quail. But they've all been great game bird experiences.

My personal favorite is still the California (Valley) quail. The beauty of the bird, the terrain, and their flight habits are all something I really find to be the best wild bird hunting of my region.

Here's some pics

Last edited by Chuck H; 09/13/11 01:20 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Browning Sidelock, 20 gauge. 28" IMod/ISkt, 6 lbs.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.