March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (SKB, FlyChamps, cpa, Dan S. W., Ken Nelson, 1 invisible), 807 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#250118 10/31/11 11:23 AM
WRDSMTH Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Can anyone give me some information on a Bayard shotgun? It is rather plain 16gauge boxlock, non-ejector with the following markings.Both barrels are stamped "Demi Block" and the rib is stamped,"Eprouve A Toutes Les Poudres Pyroxilees". There is a knight in armor with a lance stamped on both barrels. Above the knight there is stamped "ANC ETABL Pieper" (left barrel) and "Herstal Belgique"(right barrel). These stamps are in a circle with what appears to ba a flower in the center.The left barrel is marked "Acier Bayard". Underneath the barrels there are a lot of numbers with Belgian proof marks. The left barrel is stamped 165 and the right is stamped 166. There is also a 65mm marking which I assume is the chamber length(2 1/2 ")
The gun has two under bolts, side clips to action and a top bolt that abutts the top rib.
At one time the shotgun was fitted with sling swivels but these are now missing.
Any information about age,quality,and shootability would be appreciated. The gun has been used but is tight.

Last edited by WRDSMTH; 10/31/11 11:27 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

WRDSMTH...Pictures will help alot with all your Qs
Slap her up here so we can see what you have..otherwise we've not a clue what you have there
franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bayard shotguns were manufactured by Henri Pieper and later by Anciens Etablissments Pieper, in Liege, Belgium. The factory was located at #12 Bayard Street.

Good Shooting
T.C.
The Green Isle
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here are the Belgian proof marks.

http://damascus-barrels.com/Belgian_All_Proofmarks.html

The gun was made after August 4, 1905 as that is when Anciens Establishment Pieper (AEP) was founded by Nicolas Pieper. It was not located in Liege, but rather in Herstal. No big deal, as Rue des Bayard is a short walk from Herstal.

Acier Bayard, simply means Bayard Steel. During this period, the company was purchasing all their barrels from Siemans-Martin.

Most of these guns are usable field grade guns, if they are good condition. Early on, Henri Pieper had invented the monobloc. Eventually the company stopped using this method and everything was made using the demi-bloc.

Post some pictures of the gun and the proof marks. I may be able determine the model. The gun is almost certainly nitro proofed.

Here is a very nice model 415 posted by CJO.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm going to speculate (I have very little French) that the "Eprouve ... Pyroxilees" language means that the gun was proved for all nitro powders. But the other proof marks will tell the tale for sure on that point.

The 165 and 166 would indicate the bore diameters at the chokes on their respective barrels, 16.9 to 17.1 mm (depending on the maker) being a straight 16 ga. I'd have to look at a conversion table to tell the chokes, and that doesn't account for the possibility that in the decades since it was made someone altered the chokes, but my initial guesstimate would be the 165 as an improved modified and the 166 a modified.

Last edited by Dave in Maine; 10/31/11 12:27 PM.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PeteM
Here are the Belgian proof marks.

http://damascus-barrels.com/Belgian_All_Proofmarks.html

The gun was made after August 4, 1905 as that is when Anciens Establishment Pieper (AEP) was founded by Nicolas Pieper. It was not located in Liege, but rather in Herstal. No big deal, as Rue des Bayard is a short walk from Herstal.

Acier Bayard, simply means Bayard Steel. During this period, the company was purchasing all their barrels from Siemans-Martin.

Most of these guns are usable field grade guns, if they are good condition. Early on, Henri Pieper had invented the monobloc. Eventually the company stopped using this method and everything was made using the demi-bloc.

Post some pictures of the gun and the proof marks. I may be able determine the model. The gun is almost certainly nitro proofed.

Here is a very nice model 415 posted by CJO.

Pete

Pete, there you go showing off my gun again. blush

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

You only have if for temporarily storage! How come you have all the good toys? I am telling ma.... wink

It is nice to know there are guns like that still floating around out there. I was contacted recently about a Pieper. It is the second one that I am aware of that has the name Pieper woven into the damascus. Bill Wise wrote about one a few years ago. It seems to appear on modified Diana's, judging by the 2 known examples.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pete, I too heard about that Damascus Pieper. Particularly fortuitous that a blued barreled "Pieper" Damascus fell into the hand of someone who valued it. Just wish it was me. However, I can't complain. Recently acquired an interesting Ideal that was the subject of a thread on here in July.

To the OP, as previously requested, can you post photos?

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
WRDSMTH Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks for the information...I will try to post some pictures...if I can get my wife to show me how it is done!!!
My gun looks like the one pictured sans the fancy engraving and wood.Mine also has a small bolt through the stock just behind the action...it appears to be orignial to the gun.
By the way, what is Demi Bloc??

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: WRDSMTH
Thanks for the information...I will try to post some pictures...if I can get my wife to show me how it is done!!!
My gun looks like the one pictured sans the fancy engraving and wood.Mine also has a small bolt through the stock just behind the action...it appears to be orignial to the gun.
By the way, what is Demi Bloc??

You can email the photos to me and I will post them movie@damascus-barrels.com.

Pete

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.