May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (Tim Wolf), 508 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,497
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 19 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 18 19
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PA24
Very nice Adam........I especially like the wood finish on those stocks with some "wood pores" still showing as wood should be.....

About like quail hunting without a dAwg crazy

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Very nice Adam........I especially like the wood finish on those stocks with some "wood pores" still showing as wood should be.....

About like quail hunting without a dAwg crazy

In furniture making, the "formal" woods (such as walnut, rosewood, and mahogany) are open grained and had to be filled. The job was not considered finished or proper unless this was so. One may think that unfilled pores bespeak the realities of wood, and hold an opinion contrary to centuries of serious woodworking. Filling the pores and achieving a quality finish is time consuming and tedious- but unlike quality inletting, cutting corners here is out front and center stage. I have seen London best featured on magazine covers that were an embarrassment to fine finishing.

Mr. Hughes posted a close-up of his work that forces scrutiny, and screams quality. Simply astounding work at a level which I could never attain, but can certainly appreciate.

Last edited by wingshooter16; 11/06/11 03:18 AM.

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: wingshooter16
In furniture making, the "formal" woods (such as walnut, rosewood, and mahogany) are open grained and had to be filled. The job was not considered finished or proper unless this was so. One may think that unfilled pores bespeak the realities of wood, and hold an opinion contrary to centuries of serious woodworking. Filling the pores and achieving a quality finish is time consuming and tedious- but unlike quality inletting, cutting corners here is out front and center stage. I have seen London best featured on magazine covers that were an embarrassment to fine finishing.

Mr. Hughes posted a close-up of his work that forces scrutiny, and screams quality. Simply astounding work at a level which I could never attain, but can certainly appreciate.

Since we are speaking of guns and not dining room tables:

This would be an opinion that like so many others will run from "lightly oiled military finish" to "high gloss plastic all filled finish" and everywhere in between.......therefore....TO EACH HIS OWN I WOULD SAY....If you like the filled bowling pin plastic look, or the modern satin finish look, go for it........whatever blows your dress.........

I like these and this is how I finish the stocks and always have and always will, top pic is one of mine, bottom pic is a factory new gun with some exposed pores as it should be........."beauty is in the eye of the beholder".....

New 25K factory Kriegoff........

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

The stock you show that you 'refinshed' looks okay...but truthfully it's looks like you didn't get "finished with it". It looks to be low grade very open grained Black walnut.

All wood is not created equal...Lower grades of walnut are harder to fill and can look like a cheap bowling pin when done improper.

Higher grades of Bastone, Claro and French Walnuts don't look like "plastic bowling pins" when properly finished.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The stock you show that you 'refinshed' looks okay...but truthfully it's looks like you didn't get "finished with it". It looks to be low grade very open grained Black walnut.

It is low grade....I don't own any expensive guns, sorry........

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Toby Barclay
Been watching this thread since it's start but it had become a little lost and until now I felt a straight forward answerr to the original question would have got lost in the flack!
Now things have settled:
The Blanch back action SLE that I posted (http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=246592#Post246592)
cost about 1100 ($1700 approx) including chequering and oil finish, wood extra.
Knowing a little more than I did then, that is about 1/2 to 1/3 of what it would have cost to have it done by a time served stocker in the UK at trade prices to the same standard.
I used D'Arcy Echols to copy the original (inc forend) which I had modified to my (very) approximate dimension ($650). I then passed it to a time served stocker in the UK who did the final fit of locks and action and shaped the body of the stock to my chosen style and exact dimensions ($500). I then had the chequering done by a trade expert ($400) and did the oil finish myself ($250).
One of the advantages of using a stock copier of the quality of D'Arcy is that you get inletting of the same quality as the original which with a turn of the century English gun can be very good indeed. In fact he left the inletting 0.005-0.010" proud on the inner surfaces so that the stocker could work the wood back to a perfect fit at minimal expence.
As regards the question addressed earlier about the function of perfect inletting formed around each component, this can be crucial in many sidelocks as the wood thickness between the lock inletting and trigger groups, ssfety & lever work can be only thousandths thick. The slithers of wood between components can make all the difference between these thin wals crumbling and the stock remaining sound through centuaries of use and many thousands of shot cycles. Also as discussed it can stop bridle and spring screws backing out and contain broken springs.
New stocks' inletting can be sealed with a variety of substances: I have heard recommendations for 'Knotting compound', 'French Polish' (not disimilar) and the stock finishers favoured stock finish. All work fine in my experience.

You didnt say what the wood cost, but anyway 1700 is a bargain even in the UK. Apparently cant get that type of work done here in USA for nowhere near that price.

BTW: Toby.....love that gun!

Sidelock
Sidelock

It would look better and serve you better if you filled the grain and sanded in the butt plate.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It would look better and serve you better if you filled the grain and sanded in the butt plate.

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Truthfully I'd rather have open grain in a stock than grays in my damascus barrels.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: wingshooter16

Since we are speaking of guns and not dining room tables:

This would be an opinion that like so many others will run from "lightly oiled military finish" to "high gloss plastic all filled finish" and everywhere in between.......therefore....TO EACH HIS OWN I WOULD SAY....If you like the filled bowling pin plastic look, or the modern satin finish look, go for it........whatever blows your dress.........

I like these and this is how I finish the stocks and always have and always will, top pic is one of mine, bottom pic is a factory new gun........."beauty is in the eye of the beholder".....

New 25K factory Kriegoff........

The point is that juglans is an open grain species that for centuries has been seen as needing the pores filled, whether it graces a gun, the cabinet in which it resides, or the table on which it is laid. And one should not confuse sheen with the filling of the pores: a low sheen or satin finish looks best with the pores filled, and the higher the sheen the worse unfilled pores appear. Taste in levels of sheen goes in and out of style, but few who have seen his work would turn their nose up at the French polish painstakingly applied to a cabinet by Riesner.

The bottom line is that you finish the stock the way you like and are content with the result. Your taste should triumph. On this we agree.

As to skirts, I've never worn one, and will defer to your experience at the thrill of having it blown up.

Mike

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Page 13 of 19 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.