April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (grendel, GeorgeGibbs505), 259 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,045
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 19 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 19
Sidelock
Sidelock

When my father was shot down in 1942 on his way to Bremen, he parachuted into the little Dutch village of Stavoren, and was soon rounded up by the Germans (there being no resistance escape organization at the time).

When they asked my father to get in a motorcycle sidecar, the driver patted his motorcycle and said, " Goot bike. BSA. Dunkirk," BSA one of thousands of motor vehicles left during the evacuation from Dunkirk beaches
in 1940.

Apologies for being off thread again but I thought bike lovers may appreciate the story.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Mike Bailey
How´s this for "pore filling"

Definitely not a pore man's gun or finish.

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Sidelock

You definitely wouldn't wear bowling shoes shoot'n it..

Sidelock
Sidelock

Danke, Herr Koenig-- BMW- Bavarian Motor Werke- But when the Brits evacuated Dunkirk and left their gear behind in their blind panic to escape Der Blitzkreig-- How was it that they had BMW bikes anyway?

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I might- but they would be custom black Johnson & Murphy bowling shoes- old "Blue Eyes" once defined a "Dork" as a man wearing a navy blue suit with brown wingtips-- That is a beautiful butt shot indeed-one any man would be proud to shoot!!!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
Danke, Herr Koenig-- BMW- Bavarian Motor Werke- But when the Brits evacuated Dunkirk and left their gear behind in their blind panic to escape Der Blitzkreig-- How was it that they had BMW bikes anyway?

A better definition of a "Dork" might be someone who cannot tell the difference between a BSA and a BMW motorcycle.
nial

Sidelock
Sidelock

RWTF, BSA is British Small Arms, which made motorcyles before the war and quite a while after it. I don't know about blind panic. The British Expeditionary Force was assisting the French and Belgians against the German blitzkreig, to sustain the French at almost any cost. The Canadian 1st Infantry Brigade was ready to sail from Dover. The British somehow managed to withdraw 338,000 men from the beaches, a logistical miracle under the circumstances.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: wingshooter16
Originally Posted By: Mike Bailey
How´s this for "pore filling"

Definitely not a pore man's gun or finish.

That's a technical tour de force but not to everyone's taste despite it being obviously very expensive to achieve. Years ago I was shown a gun in the NYC Beretta Gallery that had been a custom job for some guy who then didn't want it. It had my stock dimensions perfectly.

The finish was so "over the top" I thought they were showing me a plastic stock!

They were only mildly offended.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some have an eYe for class and some don't.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox

It's normally a cold day in Hell when I say something nice about the Brits. However, this insult is totally unjustified. For bravery they are second to none. The evacuation at Dunkirk was a miracle of courage and organization. Yes they got lucky in that the Germans didn't press their assault all the way for some unknown reason. Whatever the Germans did or didn't do the Brits would have continued to carry on regardless. There have been times when I hated their guts but never have doubted their courage and fortitude in adversity.
nial

Page 16 of 19 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.