March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gunning Bird, L. Brown), 864 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#254605 12/02/11 11:52 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Non-ejector, made about 1913 or so, steel barrels. The wood in the stock is very good, checkering is OK for an old gun. 30" barrels full/full.

I think it's a good gun, tight and on face. Got it at a VERY good price, and although it's heavy, it's a 2 frame, it's probably usable. I think it has 2 7/8 chambers.

Needs re-bluing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Duck, turkey, crow, and coyote killer! Any game that is more sittin' than humpin'! Enjoy.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I don't hump! Too old! Wondering if I should get the right barrel bored to modified? What do you think? I'd not shoot steel in it, though the bores are perfect.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Depnds on where you intend to use it. My VH was F/F and I opened it to IC/M for 95 per cent of my shooting over decoys.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The first Parker I owned was (traded,stupid,another story) a VH 30" #2 Frame, full & full: I got it through a mail deal, and when it came, I thought "too much drop, too heavy, choked too tight, and why did I spend my money on this old thing?" Then, I took it hunting.
First bird I shot at, was a quail crossing toward me......stoned him. Next, and immediately after, another quail going the other direction. Same result. Every time I shot that "too many things wrong" gun, I hit the damn bird. Now, I AM a real short,fat, guy; probably built a lot like fellows a hundred years ago, so that may be part of the answer. But, for the past 25 years, there has never been a day without a Parker in the gun safe, and for birds, my "go to" gun. I still have a VH #2 frame, still choked "too tight" and will probably go on to wherever old hunters go with one close by.
Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE

Sam Ogle
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What impresses me is on a cheap Parker, and the VH was only a step above the Trojan, the wood is about as good as wood gets.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Never a "cheap" Parker. Inexpensive! Mechanism as sturdy as higher grades.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Gene:

I got a neat old 16 ga. Parker VHE from 1914 about fifteen years ago for the right price ($600). It had very long pipes (32), double triggers, and was oddly choked, EF in the right barrel and F in the left, originally set up for Pacific coast waterfowl I was told. Wonderful figure in my stock as well.

I tried to get a Parker letter on it, and none was available for that serial #. There are some ragged holes in the Parker records apparently.

I hunt upland birds on the prairie usually over pointers. With this choking I had the actual experience of blowing the legs entirely off of tight holding birds or missing them entirely with the front trigger, so decided to do the easiest thing to make it more appropriate... open that right barrel to modified. It is still a bit too tight for some of the shots presented, but for these situations where the birds are sticking I'll often carry a few spreader loads. I'll also shoot a whole sporting clays course with spreaders. In no-tox settings like wetland pheasants I'll shoot factory tungstun-matrix, and have also starting loading ITX #2 and #4 for waterfowl as well, and so far most the patterns look very good.

I'd say, make this new gun work for your situations! That is the only thing that will keep these fine old guns busy afield.

Sidelock
Sidelock

KING BROWN very good and correct point. jeff

N Central PA
NRA Endowment
Sidelock
Sidelock

as the old timers say here in new england, hard to beat a pa ka!

but then there are the fox guys, the ithaca guys, even a few smith guys and of course the everything else guys...

Last edited by ed good; 12/04/11 03:56 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.