March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Dan R), 819 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#254501 12/02/11 01:15 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I saw one to day, for the first time. English stock, OK wood, ejectors, but the wood to metal fit was awful. The stock was at least 1/32 proud of the metal.

I thought I wanted one until I saw this one. It was NIB.

Sidelock
Sidelock

have seen and sold a few. never noticed problem you describe. all that have been thru my hands exhibited usual fine ruger fit and finish. maybe you got one that slipped by qc.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Had one for a while and thought it was a good value for the price. It handled well for me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

mt: they are goin for $2500 to $2900 these days...a bit over priced in my humble opinion.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I could have got it less than $2500, single trigger. But the wood just didn't make the cut for me. A RBL has much better wood, and is just a bit more. And it's case hardened. The wood fit was rather startling, to tell the truth. And wood was average straight-grained walnut, not the Claro fancy stuff I would have expected.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ruger seems to me to still have the same old wood policy they have always had: if you buy one sight unseen it's like entering a drawing. Sometimes you get lucky and get a serious beauty; sometimes it is just plain....plain.

Back when I was buying #1s fairly often I made a point of being there when the gun box was opened up by my FFL because I knew he would be tempted to keep the very best wooded guns for himself and order me another one!

My pistol-gripped GL has nice figure on both sides of the stock, my brother's straight-gripped one has one side spectacular, the other side pretty plain! Both are inletted well and have the grain laid out well in the grip area, which is important in a light magnum gun like that.

I won't even say what he got this pair for, right after the end of production....robbery. I think they must have sat in the shop for a year or more before he made an "offer they decided not to refuse." He WAS an old and frequent customer.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I owned one briefly and it seemed to be a pretty crude product in most respects -- wood to metal, barrel flats, water table all very rough.

A Springer Spaniel, a 6# double and a fair day to hunt.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.