March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Argo44, Little Creek, SKB, 1 invisible), 773 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,010
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was wondering if anyone could explain the history and purpose of wax seals on gun cases? I have a best grade case that is original to my Scott Premier grade with green wax seals all over the edge of the case. (if you can't picture this, imagine a medieval message on parchment sealed by the king with a ribbon melted into the seal)

My gun was made for the American market, is it possible that these seals were to prove it was not tampered with during its initial voyage to America? To clear customs? Would this have been a seal used by railroads or shipment companies to prove your parcels were not opened in transit or during a journey to a hunt? (all purely my speculation)

Can the seals be deciphered to indicate any of the history of a gun's journeys?

I think this is a fascinating piece of history but I cannot understand where the seals may have came from and for what precise purpose.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Your guesses are what mine would have been. Are there any marks on the seals or any other "shipping stickers" or similar on your case ? Of the many dozens of these cases I have seen, none had the seals as I think you are describing them.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

No stickers on mine, but they last crossed the pond circa 1891.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

No stickers on mine, but they last crossed the pond circa 1891.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rookhawk,

Are any of these 'seals' impressed with a shield or other design. If so a picture would be of considerable assistance. Green is a very unusual colour for 'Sealing Wax' in Britain, It was usually bright red or a light pink in colour. A picture of the layout of the 'seal's' on the case may give an idea as to their purpose.

Usually good quality guns were cased in brass bound leather covered wood, which was then encased in a canvas case to prevent slight damage in local transit. For overseas packing I would have thought that the item would have been enclosed in a wooden packing case addressed to the recipient. It may well be your correct in your assumption that they were there as a simple security check to see if tampering had taken place. They may also have been used by Customs Officials to indicate that the firearm had been through their offices. The green wax may have been exclusively made for Customs or other Govt' Departments.

Harry

Last edited by Harry Eales; 12/19/11 02:37 AM.

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.