March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Stanton Hillis, Hammergun, R. Glenz, 2 invisible), 329 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#259322 01/04/12 05:13 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was told that you can use india ink to accentuate the engraving on guns that have a french gray appearance or that have lost some of their case colors. I tried it the other night with only modest results. I used India Ink from rollerball with an artist's brush and then wiped away the excess.

Is there a better product? A better way?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think that if you tried an oil-based pigment you might have better results. Rub it in and then wipe the high areas leaving the pigment to dry in the lines.

A little goes a long way! Too much will make it look cartoon-like.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken Hurst recommended both Sharpie and Marks-A-Lot in a thread a few years back. I tried both on a mid grade Spanish SxS and was pleased. Not dramatic improvement but definitely more attractive. I like the Sharpie the best.

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Spanish gun was not French Gray, it was a dull coin.

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

R-Cubed was an advocate for Krylon then rubbed off before dry.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Engraver supply type companys sell stuff made/marketed just for that purpose.
It's usually a 2 part deal. Wipe the coloring agent on, wait a bit and use the second part with a patch to wipe the excess carefully from the high spots.

NGraver sells this one which is marketed as an antique finish for the engraving cuts. But it works the same way.
Click on 'Dot Punches, Stamps & Finishes',,scroll down the page.
http://www.ngraver.com/

Others sell or have sold similar kits over the years. Most use acetone as the second agent used to clear the excess color from the surface IIRC.
The nice thing about these is that they stand up well to handling and most all oil and cleaning products normaly used on firearms.

Using things like Sharpie pens gets the same effect and is much quicker, but can dissappear during a cleaning session.
It's excellent for a quick job for photo purposes and you can alter it quick enough or remove as wanted.

I'd often read of the use of India ink, tried it too many years back because of that and had similar poor results.

Some engravers simply use a good quality model (airplane) paint. Most use a low gloss to avoid the obvious.
(I believe the kit above dries to a low gloss also.)
The thinner sold along with the model paint used for the wipe-off and let it dry thoughly.

FWIW...I've used Krylon or other spray paint finish on small dead flat surfaces before like medallions.
They can be difficult to remove the coloring from the high spots w/o damaging the coloring within the image or lettering.

I spray the lot of them first & allow to dry completely.
Then to take the paint off the high areas, I take a scrap piece of finish sanded millwork trim pine. Dead flat and 'absolutely clean'. No dirt or crud imbedded in the surface.

Brush or wipe some acetone onto the wood suface so it is damp but not wet.
Take one of the medallions and swipe it face down accross the wood. Once usually does it. No chance of the acetone soaked wood reaching into the engraved cuts to get at the coloring, but it cleanly removes the paint from the flats.

Move over a little on the wood and slide the next one accross to avoid dragging it through any paint debris hung up in the wood from the previous one.

As with any finish, prep the surface well to remove old oil and finish in the cuts.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.